A fountain of knowledge

Default Royal warwickshire regiment WW2 - medals ?

Good morning All
    I have posted previously on the details of my grandfather Ernest Coles serving with the Warwickshire regiment .
    During WW2 , apart from the General war medal and 1939 -45 star , what other medals would he have been eligible for ?
    His service was , 1939 France , evacuated Operation Ariel 25th June , he then served through out the British isles , Shetland , Ireland and finally the midlands area , were he 'demobbed' in 1944 aged 50 years .

Would he had been eligible for the Defence medal ? .

Hopefully our experts on this forum can help or point me in the right direction .

Kind regards
    Dean

Hi Dean
    I am certainly no expert but did a spot of searching and according to Wikipedia the Defence medal was awarded "for non-operational service in the Armed Forces, the Home Guard, the Civil Defence Service and other approved civilian services during the period from 3 September 1939 to 8 May 1945 (2 September 1945 for those serving in certain specified territories in the Far East and the Pacific),[4] with an earlier end date for members of organisations that stood-down before May 1945."
    A link is given to the Committee on The Grant Of the Honours Decorations and Medals in Time of War site
    Here

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

You should enquire here:

[email protected]

MOD Medal Office
    Room G36
    Innsworth House
    Imjin Barracks
    Gloucester
    GL3 1HW

Freephone (UK only): 0800 085 3600