Default Gibraltar British Army Regiments 1802

Hello

I am trying to determine which regiments were stationed in or visited Gibraltar in September 1802 when an Irish man had a child baptised there. I don't know if he was in the army (perhaps marines or navy?), or perhaps nothing to do with the military, but he pops up in the West End of London in 1804.

I have checked Kitzmiller's In Search of Forlorn Hope and he gives for Gibraltar:
    1802-03 1st
    1802-05 2nd
    1802 5th
    1802 23rd

I have previously found that Kitzmiller's list is not totally comprehensive when looking at parish registers and the regiments of men having children baptised.

Thank you.

Reputation beyond repute

I doubt if the question you've asked is actually going to get you anywhere.

Where did you find the baptism and what are the details?

What is the man's name and other identity details?

Thanks for replying Peter.

In Sept 1802 a man named Hugh Davling (?Devlin) and his wife (both Irish) had a child baptised at the Catholic Church in Gibraltar. It didn't mention father's occupation.

In 1804 the same couple had another child baptised in London.

It is merely my speculation that this Hugh may have been a member of the army (or marines, navy) and I was going to check the records of those regiments stationed in Gibraltar or known to be passing through in Sept 1802.

He could of course not have been connected with the military at all (? perhaps alternatively a merchant seaman or something else), but he was in both places with his wife and children (would they be with him if he was in the military?).

Best regards and thanks!

"in search of the forlorn hope" by John K Fitmiller could answer your question. It lists location of British regiments and units from 17century to Ww1. expensive book but you may find a copy through your local library.

Cheers. Ed
    www.jeaned.net
    [url]https://edmck.blogspot.co.uk[url]

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed McKie View Post
    "in search of the forlorn hope" by John K Fitmiller could answer your question. It lists location of British regiments and units from 17century to Ww1. expensive book but you may find a copy through your local library.

Cheers. Ed
    Ian's already checked that. See first post.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default Gibraltar British army

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Ian's already checked that. See first post.

Pam
    Thank you for pointing that out. I obviously started half way through! It's a senior's thing, perchance trying to save time when it is getting short. Laziness has nothing to do with it, I tell myself constantly.

Cheers. Ed
    www.jeaned.net
    [url]https://edmck.blogspot.co.uk[url]