Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Seeking James Wallen parents

Any suggestions gratefully welcome as to where I look next. I'm stumped.

James Wallen lived at Figheldean, Wiltshire. In census 1841 it’s plausible he is James Walling with wife Ann and eldest daughter Sarah at Figheldean. Census 1851, 1861 and 1871 he is born abt 1808 at Durrington, Wilts. and wife Ann b. Fittleton abt 1812. No birth or baptism found for him.

Wiltshire Marriage Index (FMP) has a marriage at Fittleton for James Wallen, groom of Figheldean and Ann Mathews of this parish on 1.4.1837. No parents given. Licence: Bans.
    I have my gg grandfather’s birth certificate - they are his parents.

I thought I’d identified James’ parents and siblings but realise my proof is not solid. Even though there are connections - James as a witness at one `brother’s` marriage, and Ann Mathews witnessing another `sibling` marriage at Figheldean.

I’ve not found the marriage on FreeBMDs, Wiltshire BMDs, or Family Search. Only FMP.
    At various times the wider family is shown as Walling, Wallin, Wollen etc.

Thank you Heather

Knowledgeable and helpful

If the marriage took place in April 1837 then you won't find it on any BMD site as Civil Registration did not start until 1 July 1837. Therefore you will need to find the Parish Register entry, although prior to Civil Registration it was not usual to name the parents, just the couple marrying.

Emelter

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Emelter. Guess I'd assumed the Wiltshire Marriage Index was the Parish Register entry. Will now see if I can locate the latter. Heather

Growing old Disgracefully

England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973

Name: John Wallen
    Birth Date: 1808
    Marriage Date: 28 Oct 1837
    Marriage Place: Figheldean,Wiltshire,England
    Father: Robert Wallen
    Spouse: Ann Lawes
    FHL Film Number: 1279394

Her Father is William

Found this one as well

Name: James Wallen
    Marriage Date: 1 Apr 1837
    Parish: Fittleton
    Residence: Figheldean
    Spouse: Ann Mathews
    Spouse Residence: of This Parish
    Document Type: Banns

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Sandyhall. I have this marriage. On the Wiltshire Marriage Index, James Wallen and Elizabeth Harris are witnesses at John's first (of 3) marriages. Heather

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Sandyhall, Your latest arrived as I thanked you re John's marriage. Re James Wallen and Ann Matthews' wedding. This was the original record I mentioned in my initial posting. Unfortunately unlike many of my other Wiltshire Marriage Index finds, this one has no parent or witnesses.

Initially I'd thought James' parents were Robert & Elizabeth Wallen. There are connections between most of the 6? kids - housekeeping for widowed brother; widow back with parents as adult, witnessing each others weddings etc. but found there was a flaw in my assumption. I'll keep searching. Cheers Heather

Wiltshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1916 Fittleton 1813-1892

Looking at these records I found Thomas Wallen and wife Emma Baptised a son William 11 Dec 1836 no other children found for these folk.

Also found James Wallen and wife Ann Baptised 2 daughters on the same day 5 Feb 1843 names Elizabeth and Sarah.

Source Citation for Wiltshire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1916
    I found a marriage for Thomas Wallen to Emma Harris on 28 May 1835 (no other marriages for Wallen name) in Fittleton, Wiltshire, England

If this is any help

Starting to feel at home

Thank you again Sandyhall. Yes, Thomas Wallen is on my list of purported siblings and by 1851 most of them are settled at Figheldean. Thomas is widowed 1849 and his eldest sister, also widowed, Elizabeth Wheeler is housekeeper for Tom there in 1851 and 1861.
    I have access to Ancestry & FMP and have a large file about this family. Unfortunately baptisms only for the last 3 of the 6 kids; Tom, Sarah and Ann 1812—1816, Maddington, mother as Mary Wallen nee Keel/e. No baptisms for Elizabeth, John & James, b. betw. 1806-1810..
    I guess Mary could have died and Robt married the Elizabeth who appears on census with him 1841-1861. Their marriages not found.
    Thank you for your responses. Cheers Heather

Starting to feel at home

Default Update - success!

Dear Sandyhill, emelter and others,

A call today from an unknown chap 2500km away in Queensland suggested that Robert Wallen's marriage to Mary Keel might be found as Robert Warren and Mary Kill, 31.3.1805. He of Figheldean, she Durrington.

Using the Warren alternative I have now found baptisms for the 3 eldest children, Elizabeth, John and James and my somewhat shaky premise looks good. A burial of a Mary Warren at Durrington 12.9.1817 would nicely precede Robert's 2nd marriage 1819 at Maddington to Elizabeth Windser/Windsor.

Best wishes Heather

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast