Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default British army desertion records

I am not sure where the best place is for this query.

My g-g-grandfather was a soldier in the 11th Regiment of Foot. The regiment served in Australia for a few years in the 1850s and returned to England in 1857. I have some payroll/muster records and there is a note that says he deserted in London or Dover not long after the regiment disembarked, abt. 1858.

Was there a published list of deserters at that time that would give me more information on him?

With thanks,

Helen

(My ancestor somehow made his way back to Sydney, Australia to be with his three brothers who were living there.)

Starting to feel at home

I'm interested in answers to this too.
    I've noticed on military records that the word 'Run' means the man deserted.

Just at thought, military desertion in Australia was published in the Australian Police Gazettes; you might check if your man's desertion might have been flagged there, if the military thought he might have returned there.
    rgds, Barry
    Last edited by Barry364; 18-03-2019 at 9:18 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Barry,

I have checked the Gazettes, and also British Newspaper Archives for newspaper reports, but his name does not come up in my searches.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Barry364 View Post
    I'm interested in answers to this too.
    I've noticed on military records that the word 'Run' means the man deserted.

Just at thought, military desertion in Australia was published in the Australian Police Gazettes; you might check if your man's desertion might have been flagged there, if the military thought he might have returned there.
    rgds, Barry