Default 1911 Census and Military Service.

My Great Uncle Thomas Turner served with the Royal Garrison Artillery from 1903 to 1912. He married on the 29th April 1911 in Maresfield Sussex. In the 1911 Census which was taken in early April 1911 he is shown as residing in Maresfield and working as a farm labourer. He is in fact living with mother of his future bride and he is referred to as her nephew. He is in fact marrying his first cousin which was very common in my family at that time. I have read his army records which confirms the dates. Does anyone know if it was possible for him to work and still be in the army. It seems a long period of leave to get married and why was he not referred to as a serving soldier.

Default Thomas Turner

Just checking that we are looking at the same record- Gunner 6526 Thomas Turner B 1882 at Maresfield, Sussex who married Lucy Lester on 29 November 1911 If so-
    If so he was attested on 19 November 1900 at the age of 18 years
    On 21 November 1908 he was transferred to the Army Reserve.

At that time you could complete a short period of service normally 7 years after which they could extend the service for up to 25 years or leave and re-enter civilian life but if you left the army then you served for an equal amount of time on the reserve which meant that they could be recalled to duty immediately in the event of an emergency.

Hence by 1908 Thomas was free to return to Maresfield and work as a farm labourer and court /marry/ have a family with Lucy

Many thanks Marshland. Yes that is my Great Uncle. He married Lucy Tester on the 29th April 1911. Thanks for explaining the army records to me and I know why he was working on the farm. He was in fact called up for duty in the Great War and survived.