Default Charles Richard de Havilland born 1823 -1901

Hello could someone help me im trying to find out where Charles Richard de Havilland was buried. He was born in 1823 and died in 1901. He was the son of Charles de Havilland.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello mikjel,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

A quick search brings up quite a few sites saying that Charles died on 6 February 1901, but nobody says where he died.
    He doesn't appear in the death registrations for England and Wales. So (looking on the bright side) that's probably two less countries of the world in which to search for his burial.

Do you know where he died?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

The de Havillands are connected to Guernsey. Theres some mention of the rev’d Charles Richard de Havilland in An english woman a broad (Olivia de Havilland) on google books.
    Julie

He’s in Guernsey in 1891. The parish of St.Peters Port. His widow Margaret is still in Guernsey in 1901.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by blue eyes View Post
    He’s in Guernsey in 1891. The parish of St.Peters Port. His widow Margaret is still in Guernsey in 1901.
    Thanks for those details, Julie. I'm not on the laptop at the moment so doing certain research can be difficult.

I did see in one in the sites I accessed earlier that Charles had been a vicar in Guernsey, and my gut feeling then was that he may be buried on Guernsey, but without actually knowing where he died it's impossible to make an educated guess. However, knowing that Margaret was still in Guernsey in 1901 (only a few weeks after Charles' death), certainly strengthens my gut feeling.

Pam

Hopefully this will back up what has already been posted:

There is a Rev Charles Richard de Havilland on the Guernsey Census for 1881 and 1891. His age correlates to a birth in 1823/4.

In 1881 he is described as a Church of England clergyman, chaplain of the Garrison, Gaol and Hospital and is living with three daughters and two sons. His wife is not present.
    RG11, Piece 5624, Folio 70, Page 18.

In 1891 he is described as a clergyman, chaplain to H M's Forces. His wife, Margaret L, and a daughter and son are present.
    RG12, Piece 4703, Folio 71, Page 3.

In 1901 Margaret de Havilland, now a widow, is living in the same house as in 1891 with one daughter.
    RG13, Piece 5323, Folio 80, Page 2.

The 1901 Census in guernsey was taken on 31st March 1901.

The Index to Death Duty Registers has an entry for a Charles Richard de Havilland with a date of death of 6th February, 1901. Frustratingly, it does not state the place of death, or any other details!

A couple of family trees on Ancestry have the date of death as 6th February 1901 and one has the place of death as Guernsey, although there is no source to back this up.

I did look for a will but I think there might be special arrangements for wills in Guernsey.

It seems he married twice and had at least 15 children!

Peter (a slow typist!)

I had inspiration.

Tried the newspapers.

There's a short-ish obituary in The Times dated 18 February 1901, which says that Charles died in Guernsey on 6th February.
    It says that Charles was appointed to the vicarage of St Matthew, Cobo in 1882, where he stayed until 1885. Wouldn't mind a little bet that he's buried either in the churchyard there or in Holy Trinity, the parish in which he and Margaret were living in 1891 and where Margaret was still living in 1901.

Margaret died 27 January 1910 in Bournemouth. Nothing in her death notice about a possible burial place for her.
    There's a chance that a Bournemouth paper might have an obituary, rather than just a death announcement, which might give her burial place. (Fingers crossed it would be in Guernsey!)

Pam

Thankey I appreciate all what you have done to find out about Charles Richard de Havilland, he is probably buried in Guernsey?

As Charles for many years lived in Guernsey, and then died there, the chances are that he's buried there.

In England at least, the local libraries (and/or sometimes the county archives) have copies of the local newspapers. You could contact the library in St Peter Port to see if they have the papers and if they could do a look-up for an obituary and/or report of the funeral. You have a date of death which which reduces the number of issues they have to search. They might charge you a fee.

Oam