Post William Wiliams served on the faroe islands

I'm looking for Wlliam Wlliams who served on th Faroe Islands from around 1941-1944 during WWIi
    as a R.A sergent-major registration number 870383.
    Hi was from Cardif, Wales
    Do you perhaps know family or descendants of this family William Wiliams in Cardif?

Hanna

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Hanna,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.
    I've moved your thread to General Family History Queries forum as the original one was not appropriate.

Sadly, I think you might be looking for a needle in a haystack. William Williams is a very common name in Wales - and you have to bear in mind that the family might not have been living in Cardiff for very long.

Service records for personnel who enlisted after 1922 are still held by the Ministry of Defence and to apply for them you need a date of birth and a death certificate. Other criteria apply. https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...757#post585757

If the information you've given is the total of your knowledge of William, I can only suggest that you try the Forces Reunited site.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

Well, I can help a little bit.

Findmypast has a register of Royal Artillery attestations and it appears that 870383 was actually William James Williams. That should make him easier to trace.

It says he was discharged on 17 Aug 1943 so he wasn't serving anywhere in 1944!

Thanks for answers and help. I've tried to find him in Findmypast, but can't find him. he served in the Faroe Islands. there he got a son on March 1, 1943.
    Therefore, it was a guess 1942-1944

Hi Hanna
    he is there on FMP but his record only came up for me when I left out the middle name James even though it is in the transcription.
    However there is no more information than Peter already gave you.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina.

Thanks a lot for your effort and response on the matter. It is really helpful in our onward search, thanks.

Hanna