Default Pensioner Chelsea

Hello
    I have a certificate of death of a man who died at South Chelsea, London in 1839 which says he was a Pensioner from Army, but the place of death given does not appear to have been in Chelsea Hospital, rather a private street. He may of course have been living in the Hospital, or living outside it and receiving his pension.

Can anyone please tell me the best records to search if I have his exact date of death in 1839 to determine which regiment he belonged to? I presume there must be a record, hopefully surviving, of his pension being terminated?

Thanks very much!

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. I hope you’ll enjoy yourself.

Chelsea Hospital had/has in pension and out pensioners (ie they lived on site or elsewhere). However, living in the Chelsea area and being an army pensioner doesn’t make him a Chelsea pensioner... Or it could have been a nursing home....

See if you can find who else was at that address... if it WAS a nursing home, it should be shown as such on the 1841 census.

Reputation beyond repute

The Royal Hospital, Chelsea was the agency that paid army pensions. All army pensioners were "Chelsea Pensioners". Some were in-pensioners, most were out-pensioners.

The first place to look for army service records of that vintage is Findmypast,

You should read the research guide...

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rs-up-to-1913/