Default Andrew Lyon, gardener Kimmerghame 1730s

Patrick Jaffrey and Jean Lion were married in Fogo parish of Scotland, 11 Dec 1733 (OPR marriages 740/10 219 Fogo). At the baptism of their first child, Andrew Jaffrae, on 19 Dec 1734 (OPR Births 740/10 93 Fogo), one of the witnesses is "____ Lyon, gardiner in Kimmerghame."
    I've uncovered 3 letters in the Scottish National Archives, written by an "Andrew Lyon" in 1729 and 1730 to the laird of Kimmerghame. He is employed at Kimmerghame, and appears to labor as a gardener. I believe these letters were written by the witness of Andrew Jaffrae's baptism.
    Other than the marriage record, I've been unable to find out any other records of the Lyon family. Does anyone have suggestions about where to look for this Lyon family, who lived in the Fogo area in the 1720s and 1730s?
    I can attach copies of the letters, if you feel it would be helpful.
    Thanks!

If you log into Scotlands People, you can run a preliminary search without needing to spend credits. Of course, if you want to get past the index page and see the entry, then you have to use your credits.
    I ran a search for Lyon in Berwickshire, Church of Scotland, and found only one Andrew who had children baptised in Edrom in 1723 and 1724 who might be worth looking at. Don't forget that Lyon and Lion are variations on the same name at that time... There are a few other men listed with other forenames.

Other notes.

Have you looked at my notes about sources at the top of the General Scottish Forum?

There's no surviving Lyon/Lion grave inscriptions in the Fogo area. (also not in Edrom, the parish for Kimmerghame).

When someone was listed as "of placename", it means that's where he/she is living at that time, not where they were born & bred.

At that time, gardens were a big deal and used for showing off status of the landowner. If he was a gardener who wrote to the Laird, he would not have been low in the ranking of workers and may have been "imported" from elsewhere. It might be worth looking for information about the gardens in the early 18th century. If your Mr Lyon was there long enough, he might turn up on lists or record books. The Historic Scotland entry might give you a start HERE.

A major possible problem is that many records from that time have not survived - civil and religious upheaval, acid ink and damp, etc didn't do much for archive storage.