+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Private Albert Reginald Charles

    Hi, i am having no joy tracing my great grandfathers military history during WW2.

    The only information I have is that he was in the Royal Army Service Corps and this certificate which shows he was mentioned in a despatch for distinguished service in the London Gazette on 20 July 1940.

    He was born on 12.09.1906 and died 28.12.1970, my gran says he never spoke about his time during the war but she thinks he may have been involved at Dunkirk.

    Any help on finding out any information would be much appreciated!

    Thanks
    Matt


  2. #2
    Starting to feel at home
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    Welcome to the Forum Matt.
    Have a look at this thread.

    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...757#post585757

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to katarzyna For This Useful Post:

    evoona32 (25-02-2019)

  4. #3
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarzyna View Post
    Welcome to the Forum Matt.
    Have a look at this thread.

    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...757#post585757
    Thanks, i have the forms filled out and have the cheque ready to send for the military records, i am just waiting for his death certificate to be sent to me which should be in the next few days.

    I suppose i was just hoping in the meantime there was some information out there i was missing that someone might point me in the direction of.

  5. #4
    Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryborough Australia
    Posts
    1,053
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 605 Times in 475 Posts

    Default

    HI Matt

    That is the thing, with WW2 there is not too much online at all.
    His MiD is in the London Gazette - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices
    If he died during the war he would be on CWGC.
    Other than that, unless someone put something on a forum online, all his information will be in his service records.
    WW2 war diaries are not online either, they are at National Archives UK and indexed - http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ro=any&_st=adv
    His service records will hopefully which part of the RASC he was in, so you can narrow it down!

    regards

    Robert
    Remembering

    My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo1 For This Useful Post:

    evoona32 (25-02-2019)

  7. #5
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simmo1 View Post
    HI Matt

    That is the thing, with WW2 there is not too much online at all.
    His MiD is in the London Gazette - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices
    If he died during the war he would be on CWGC.
    Other than that, unless someone put something on a forum online, all his information will be in his service records.
    WW2 war diaries are not online either, they are at National Archives UK and indexed - http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ro=any&_st=adv
    His service records will hopefully which part of the RASC he was in, so you can narrow it down!

    regards

    Robert
    Thanks Robert, yes i was getting that impression having found nothing online, i have tried to look for the copy of the London Gazette he is in but have read through a lot of pages around that date and not found anything. Any tips for how to find this?

    Once i get the service records back from the MOD, depending on how much info they have my plan is to then hopefully try and get details of the war diaries from the national archives at Kew.

  8. #6
    Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryborough Australia
    Posts
    1,053
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 605 Times in 475 Posts

    Default

    Hi

    The London Gazette is very hard to search with sometimes, you have to muck around with what you put in.
    Here it is - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4584 . I think it says date as 26th.
    That gives his service number as S/67099
    Go back to the fist page gives - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4584 and that tells you why his name is in that list.
    regards

    Robert
    Remembering

    My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo1 For This Useful Post:

    evoona32 (26-02-2019)

  10. #7
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simmo1 View Post
    Hi

    The London Gazette is very hard to search with sometimes, you have to muck around with what you put in.
    Here it is - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4584 . I think it says date as 26th.
    That gives his service number as S/67099
    Go back to the fist page gives - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4584 and that tells you why his name is in that list.
    regards

    Robert
    That's great Robert, i now feel stupid for spending so long looking for that and finding nothing!

    The second link you gave is to the same page, i presume this was meant to be for page 4579? there is a paragraph on that page that gives a brief description as to why everyone is named. Do you know if its possible to find more specific details on what they did to get in there? Or would this be something in the service records?

    Thanks for your help, its good that i now have his service number and can see he was part of the 'supply' section of the RASC.

  11. #8
    Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryborough Australia
    Posts
    1,053
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 605 Times in 475 Posts

    Default

    HI

    With MID's I don't think you will find more out, unless there is something in his service record. Looking at the war diary will show what went on at that time and may have some mention, but may not, depends on the officer writing it.
    I did mean the first page, obviously forgot to cut it!
    The LG is not easy to search in!
    Getting his service records will be the start.

    regards

    Robert
    Remembering

    My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Select a file: