Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default George Gilchrist

Hi My name is Sharyn, (using the profile name as Makentrax)

I live in Perth, Western Australia and I am trying to find documented proof of my grt grandfather George Gilchrist army records, service number 2081. I have been on many paid sites without success. I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. Some of the details I have is my grt, grt grandfather's real name is Kenneth Chisholm born 14th August, 1822 but when he joined the british army on 31st August, 1842 at the age of 20 he said his name was George Gilchrist giving his place of birth as Loth, Sutherland instead of Inverness. Scotland. During his time he was absent without leave a few time and also court marshalled resulting in jail and deportation to Australia. I have more information but I have trying to get the proof.
    hopeful & thank you
    Sharyn

A fountain of knowledge

Name: George Gilchrist
    Aliases: Kenneth, Chisholm
    Date of Birth: 14th August, 1822
    Date of Death: 8th May, 1873
    Crime: Desertion from army
    Convicted at: Court Martial Kingston Upper Canada
    Sentence term: 14 years
    Ship: Dudbrook
    Departure date: 17th November, 1852
    Arrival date: 7th February, 1853
    Place of arrival Western Australia

https://convictrecords.com.au/convic...t/george/10508

I have added the above link as some of the information you have on it might be of help to find further info.

Exactly what did you want proof of?

A fountain of knowledge

Its ok i see what you mean trying to find documented proof

You have quite a bit of info on the link i posted, dates he enlisted etc, can you say where you obtained that information from? Was it a reliable source?

Starting to feel at home

I see from the link given by shippo above that you have added a lot of information to the Convict record. The record itself has a source which is available on microfilm.
    He lied about his name so there is no reason to assume he gave his correct POB either.
    Where did you get all the other info that you added to that record? Was it from a Service record?
    I think the fact that he named his daughter (assuming correct) using his real name as her middle name it is reasonable to suppose he wanted to recognise Chisholm as as family name.

Name: Janet Chisholm Gilchrist
    Birth Date: Abt 1860
    Birth Place: Wnrnooka M
    Registration Year: 1860
    Registration Place: Western Australia, Australia
    Father: George Gilchrist
    Mother: Jane Cap
    Registration Number: 5286

A fountain of knowledge

Not sure if these indexes are your fellow or not.
    Index on FMP
    England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935 Great Britain
    Gilchrist George born 1821 — event 1850
    Gilchrist George born 1821 — event 1850 Dartmoor, Great Britain
    Gilchrist George born 1821 — event 1850 Pentonville, Great Britain
    Gilchrist George — — event 1851
    Gilchrist Geo born 1821 — event 1850

A fountain of knowledge

Not sure where i stand with copyright on this so just posting a small snippet of article on George.

The Standard (London, England),
    Thursday, August 07, 1851

Hi Shippo

Thank you for you valuable information. Yes I have the convict record of George being transported on the Dunbrook and as Katarzyna mentioned I have placed notes on there given to me by a person who is now resting in paradise but I don't have the primary and secondary proof to support them. As you know things can be written but sometimes they are not correct. I was lucky to find some details yesterday on the Pentoville Prison site where he was when he was sent back to England. I was told there are documents / transcripts of his court hearing but I have never been lucky enough to find them. I will definitely search for the paper clipping you have pasted and I will revist FMP. once thank you I appreciate your help

Hi Katarzyna

Thank you for searching information for me. Yes I have the convict record of George being transported on the Dunbrook. I have placed notes on there given to me by a person who is now resting in paradise but I don't have the primary and secondary proof to support them. As you know things can be written but sometimes they are not correct. I was told there are documents / transcripts of his court hearings but I have never been lucky enough to find them. I appreciate your help

Starting to feel at home

From Old Parish Records Baptisms - Scotlands People -Credits need for more detail. The date is most probably his baptism rather than birth date.
    CHISHOLM
    KENNETH
    Parents JOHN CHISHOLM/JANET BEATON
    M
    14/08/1822
    098/
    110 58
    Inverness

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...v=try&h=947487
    Source Citation
    Parish: Inverness; ED: 1A; Page: 13; Line: 1110; Year: 1841
    Possible Family in 1841
    John Chisholm 60
    Janet Chisholm 50
    John Chisholm 15
    Murdoch Chisholm 20
    Janet Beaton 30

If you have Ancestry there is a tree with photo believed to be George/Kenneth and his wife Jane.
    https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree...41290589/facts
    (tree owned by Donna Boelen)
    However she only has the transportation Registers - no military

Edit: She has his family in Scotland.

The address on the '41 Census record "Grey Friars" matches the name/address given on one of his FMP prison records - "Father John Chisholm, 4 Grey Friars Street, Inverness"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast