Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Starting to feel at home

Hi,
    You're absolutely right. It is just a question of how you look at things. I may even visit the area as it looks lovely.
    Thanks
    B

Knowledgeable and helpful

Elizabeth Sutherland is listed as a widow on the 1851 Census, so presumably Walter died sometime between 1841 and 1851.

Searching Scotland's People for burials of any Walter Sutherland between those dates produces only two results, one in 1850, aged 71 at Unst (Shetland), and one in 1842, aged 72 at Edinburgh.

The second one fits for age and place but you would need to view the image for further details (if any).

Peter

Starting to feel at home

Hi,
    Have looked at image but no new info. He seems to have been buried in The Water of Leith. Which I hope means a cemetery and not that they chucked him in the river because he was poor. ��

B

The Water of Leith could now be seen as a suburb of Edinburgh.
    Death registrations didn’t start in Scotland until 1855. The data on Scotland People from before then comes from the burial registrations, which is why the info is minimal. They can be worse - the register for the parish I’m researching has such gems as “J. Grieve’s wife” or “a baby”.... There’s often more info on the gravestone if he had one (expensive) and if it’s survived (acid rain, etc).

Starting to feel at home

Hello and thanks again to everyone who responded to and helped with my query about Walter and Elizabeth.
    I have been doing a bit more research on Scotland's people and found Elizabeth's death in 1856. I know death registration information was only taken on declaration but it says maiden name Gunn age 77 and parents were listed as John Gunn (farmer) and Janet Sutherland. I found a marriage for John and Janet in Latheron in 1776 but cannot (yet) find Elizabeth/Elspet/Betty/Eliza's birth.
    So in summary a little bit further forward. Also John's father is listed as George Gun and Berridale was the place of residence.
    Once again Many Thanks
    B

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    SP also have a baptism of a Margaret Sutherland, father Walter Sutherland, in Latheron in 1807.

And FS have a marriage in Edinburgh in 1835 of a Margaret Sutherland, father Walter Sutherland to Edward Munro. Possibly her.
    Hi,
    Turns out that Margaret was Catherine's sister and that Catheine's eldest son Robert married Margaret's daughter Elizabeth Munro in 1856. Am still researching.
    Many thanks for finding this.
    B

Famous for offering help & advice

Thanks for the updates Bunbury.

Starting to feel at home

Hi,
    Sorry, this thread was started a long time ago but I have at last some more information.It turns out that Walter was at some time in the Aberdeen Militia(occupation listed on children's baptism records).
    I cannot find any record of him in the few muster rolls I've seen online but
    I have been wondering afresh about his birthplace. Walter may possibly have been in the army for some time as he was in his mid 30's in 1804 when he married Elizabeth Gunn. Perhaps he was only in the area in a military capacity when they met.

Apologies once again for the time lag

Regards

B

Knowledgeable and helpful

Searching for Walter Sutherland baptisms between 1760 and 1780, anywhere in Scotland, produces only one result. This is the one that Grisel mentioned in #16.

Walter Sutherland baptised 15th October 1769 at Watten. Parents Walter Sutherland and Jannet Morrison.

Watten in Caithness is to the north of Latheron, on the road between Wick and Thurso.

Peter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123