Settling in

Default Death Certificate

Hi people,
    Hope somebody can help I might not be able to see the wood for the trees, so it might be me. However here goes, George Bushby baptised 1838 Husborne Crawley Beds. Father George Bushby mother Lucy. Married 1858 to Emily Smith in Lambeth. Supposedly died 1892 in Lambeth. I can find no record of this anywhere. If any can shed any light even a glimmer I will be very grateful.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you found the family in the 1891 census? If so, please give their details (the census reference would be a very useful addition) so we can have a look.
    Any details about the family in the 1901 census would be a bonus.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a death registered in St Saviours, Southwark in 1891 on a man with the same name who was apparently 10 years younger than your man.

Southwark and Lambeth adjoin each other. The age I quoted comes from the index which will be a transcription. The only way to fully eliminate that man, once you have revisited the source of your information, would be to speculatively buy the death certificate and see what it says.

Settling in

Yes sorry, I do have the family living in Islington in the 1881 census piece 248, Folio 32, Page 3, but no trace after either for him or his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    There is a death registered in St Saviours, Southwark in 1891 on a man with the same name who was apparently 10 years younger than your man.

Southwark and Lambeth adjoin each other. The age I quoted comes from the index which will be a transcription. The only way to fully eliminate that man, once you have revisited the source of your information, would be to speculatively buy the death certificate and see what it says.
    March quarter, too, which, if it is the relevant George, would explain why he's not in the 1891 census.

Yeoman - I think you need to try and eliminate this man from your enquiries by comparing likely candidates in the 1881 and 1891 censuses. Information on a death certificate is only as reliable as to how well the informant knew the deceased. If I had to be the informant for any of my neighbours (which often happened in ye olde days) I'm sure I'd be way out on their ages even though I've known some of them for nearly twenty years.

You can get a PDF copy of the death certificate for seven quid. (If you want to know the details, just ask. )

Pam

Settling in

Hi
    Have received the pdf for the death in Southwark 1891, it is not my George, so I am still looking!

Where did you get the information that he died in 1892?

Settling in

Hints from Ancestry from other peoples trees, I have looked at the source and its for a Charles Bushby, I have sent for the certificate incase the name was transcribed wrongly, but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by yeoman1 View Post
    Hi
    Have received the pdf for the death in Southwark 1891, it is not my George, so I am still looking!
    So sorry it's not your man.
    Can you tell us the details (name, address, occupation, name and address of informant) so that we can eliminate him from a possible list of candidates?

(If it's any consolation, one of the death certificates I sent for last week which was right name and area, age accurate to about a year, appears from the occupation to be for the wrong person. There's no family infornant. So I'm back to the drawing board for him. I do know he died between the 1861 and 1871 censuses, but it's a common name, so I'm no better off than you are with a surname that can easily be misspelt.)

Pam

The longer you spend at this game, the more you will realise that you cannot trust patron submissions, be they on Ancestry, Family Search or other sites, without supporting documentation. There's always a small chance that it came from a family bible or somesuch, but if they don't say so, I'm afraid that you should put it to one side and start a clean search.

As Pam asks, can you give us the documented info that you have on him - how did you eliminate the Southwark guy?