steveh37

Default Surname spelt wrong

Hi all would like to know where I can go to get a registration corrected. I was recently tidying up my family tree when I noticed that I didnt have a source recorded for one of my niece's birth. I couldnt find her, after trying different ways I eventually found her, But her name had been mispelled It should have been Hecek but was transcribed as Hecer. My question is how can I change this and how do you go about it

Steveh37

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

What does the birth cert say.?

Transcriptions are one thing, certs are another. Have you looked at the actual name registered, and not just the transcript.

What website are you looking at for the birth.

You could be wasting your time givng a correction, to what is actualy right.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Steveh37 - be very careful what details you post about your niece because she's (presumably) living, and you don't want to breach our T&Cs.

As t'other Steve says, transcriptions are thing; names on actual documents are another.

If you found her on FreeBMD there's a 'specs' symbol next to the entry. Click on that, and then you get a further link to the GRO Index page. If the entry on the GRO page says Hecer, then you can only do two things. (1) Inform the GRO that their Index is incorrect. They should then amend their main Index at Southport. However they are unable to amend entries on pages already published, e.g. the ones from which the FreeBMD transcriptions are taken. (2) Put a postem note against the FreeBMD entry advising of the correct spelling.

If you found the entry on FMP you can't do anything about their entries. They take them from the published GRO Index, and if that's wrong - tough. They can only transcribe what is in the Index, and therefore if the Index says Herer that's what their transcription will say.

It's basically the same on Ancestry though there might be a way you can enter an alternative entry on Ancestry, but the incorrect spelling is the one that will show first in any search.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

I was once involved in getting an entry corrected, and it had to be done through the local register office where the event was originally registered. They then had to investigate where the error had occurred, eg at registration, in reporting the event to the GRO, or when the GRO compiled their index, since that would determine how it was to be corrected.

I very strongly suspect that the only person who could initiate the process in this case would be the niece herself, or possibly her parents. The word of an uncle is unlikely to count for much, unless, for example, she had died and you were her next of kin.

Reputation beyond repute

You can't say that the registration is wrong unless you've seen the birth certificate.

I don't know anything about this person but if, say, her birth certificate has seen her through school, into employment, into the NI and tax system and got her a passport, the registration is very unlikely to be wrong.

If the index has got a letter wrong, does it matter?