Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rifle Brigade 1890?

Hi, I'm trying to find information on a William Henry Smith who was a member of the Rifle Brigade in 1890.

The only information I have is that he was age 22 and married to Henrietta Curtis.

I would be grateful for any information.

Thank you.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    So those wishing to help can get a bit of background on this man he married Henrietta Curtis in the March 1/4 of 1890. Registration district Orsett, Essex. vol 4a page 312a. Is this where you got William H's occupation from?
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection
    Right I will see what is to found.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello j2sea2002,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

My initial search was a lot easier than thought it might be. Searching for Henrietta Curtis married to a Smith between 1885 and 1900 revealed only one marriage - to a William Henry, registered March quarter 1890 Orsett registration district.
    Sadly, it then rapidly goes downhill. Based on William's age of 22, I searched for possible Henrietta's in the 1881 census. Including two Hetty's, there'a choice of 9. Based on geographical location and 'age closeness' to William's age, some seem more likely than others but that's not a reliable criteria nine years on.
    Searching for Smith children with a mother's maiden name of Curtis reveals forty-one births registered between 1890 and 1894, so that's equally unhelpful.

So I believe the only way forward is by obtaining a copy of their marriage certificate which will hopefully have details of their fathers' names and occupations as well as Henrietta's age. As you state that William was 22 in 1890 you may already have that marriage certilficate. If so, when and where did they marry, what were their fathers'names and occupations, and how old was Henrietta?

If you don't have it, then apply today because prices go up tomorrow.
    Start here, and in the log in section there's a link for you to register.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/Login.asp
    Once you've done that, you need this page (you may automatically be directed there)
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...app_select.asp
    Details to quote are either William Henry Smith or Henrietta Curtis (you don't need both), March (or first) quarter 1890.
    Orsett registration district, volume number 4a page number 312a

However, it seems strange that you appear to have plucked a name out of thin air, so you must surely have other information about William, e.g. found him in a census, know the names of at least one or two children, etc. So we either need to know those details or else you need to tell us where you've found those very basic details you have.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default Re:William Henry Smith

Hi Pam,

Thanks for responding to my post.
    I have Williams marriage certificate and this is where I learned that he was in the Rifle Brigade but I can't find any other information about him. I believe that I have found William and Henrietta in the 1911 census living at 96 Station Road, Penge S E the household is as follows:
    Williams Henry Smith Age 40
    Henrietta Smith Age 45
    Ernest Smith Age 13
    Emily Kathleen Smith Age 12
    Bert Edward Smith Age 11
    Frank James Smith Age 9
    Sidney Joseph Smith Age 8
    Beatrice Rose Smith Age 2

My father was Sydney Joseph Smith. He died in 1967 when I was 7 years old and apart from his birth certificate and where he was buried, I have no information about him.

Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hello j2sea2002,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

My initial search was a lot easier than thought it might be. Searching for Henrietta Curtis married to a Smith between 1885 and 1900 revealed only one marriage - to a William Henry, registered March quarter 1890 Orsett registration district.
    Sadly, it then rapidly goes downhill. Based on William's age of 22, I searched for possible Henrietta's in the 1881 census. Including two Hetty's, there'a choice of 9. Based on geographical location and 'age closeness' to William's age, some seem more likely than others but that's not a reliable criteria nine years on.
    Searching for Smith children with a mother's maiden name of Curtis reveals forty-one births registered between 1890 and 1894, so that's equally unhelpful.

So I believe the only way forward is by obtaining a copy of their marriage certificate which will hopefully have details of their fathers' names and occupations as well as Henrietta's age. As you state that William was 22 in 1890 you may already have that marriage certilficate. If so, when and where did they marry, what were their fathers'names and occupations, and how old was Henrietta?

If you don't have it, then apply today because prices go up tomorrow.
    Start here, and in the log in section there's a link for you to register.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/Login.asp
    Once you've done that, you need this page (you may automatically be directed there)
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...app_select.asp
    Details to quote are either William Henry Smith or Henrietta Curtis (you don't need both), March (or first) quarter 1890.
    Orsett registration district, volume number 4a page number 312a

However, it seems strange that you appear to have plucked a name out of thin air, so you must surely have other information about William, e.g. found him in a census, know the names of at least one or two children, etc. So we either need to know those details or else you need to tell us where you've found those very basic details you have.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    So those wishing to help can get a bit of background on this man he married Henrietta Curtis in the March 1/4 of 1890. Registration district Orsett, Essex. vol 4a page 312a. Is this where you got William H's occupation from?
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection
    Right I will see what is to found.

Christina
    Thanks for responding to my post.
    I have William's marriage certificate and this is where I learned that he was in the Rifle Brigade. I have attached a copy of the certificate below.

Thank you again.

In this census ancestry have transcribed W H's age as 80 and there is a smudgy mark which makes it difficult to read however going off the 1911 census he should be age 30 but that would make him 12 years old when his son George Alfred was born. WH was deceased in 1919 when his dau Emily K(c)athleen married John Jenkins. He was also on that marriage record as a cycle mechanic.
    RG13 Piece: 651 Folio 182 Page 52
    45 Crampton Rd South? Penge
    William Henry Smith 30 cycle mechanic
    Henriette Smith 34
    George Alfred Smith 18 butcher's assistant
    Ernest Robert Smith 3
    Emily C Smith 2
    Bert Edward Smith 1
    Francis Curtis 58 mother-in-law

Christina
    William Burroughs

There is a Henrietta Smith age 26 cook domestic born Manchester on the 1891 census. She is married but living in the household of Sarah Pinchbeck in Lewisham London. No husband with her.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    In this census ancestry have transcribed W H's age as 80 and there is a smudgy mark which makes it difficult to read however going off the 1911 census he should be age 30 but that would make him 12 years old when his son George Alfred was born. WH was deceased in 1919 when his dau Emily K(c)athleen married John Jenkins. He was also on that marriage record as a cycle mechanic.
    RG13 Piece: 651 Folio 182 Page 52
    45 Crampton Rd South? Penge
    William Henry Smith 30 cycle mechanic
    Henriette Smith 34
    George Alfred Smith 18 butcher's assistant
    Ernest Robert Smith 3
    Emily C Smith 2
    Bert Edward Smith 1
    Francis Curtis 58 mother-in-law

Christina
    To me, the implication is that George Alfred Smith is not William's son, as he would have been born c1882, way before William and Henrietta married.

Wiliam's age in the census is definitely thirty, with a badly-written 30.

Pam

Henrietta in 1871 is living (aged 6) in Salford with parents George and Frances/Francis. RG10/4022 folio130 page 16.

In 1881 George and Frances/Francis are in Penge. RG11/824 folio 78 page 30. Henrietta is not with them.

She's in Lewisham, 17 years old, born Manchester. RG11/738 folio 41 page 9.

Apologies for not being able to post the actual households - takes forever to type them on the tablet.

Pam

In the 1901 census George Alfred's birthplace is given as Anerley, which is between Penge and Croydon. Penge is in Croydon registration district, so to me that seems to indicate that Anerley will be as well.

Birth registration June quarter 1883, Croydon registration district, George Alfred Belcher, mother's maiden name Curtis. Coincidence, or highly relevant?

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast