Thread: Baptism Record

melsibob

Default Baptism Record

This morning I decided to have another look to see if I could find my great grandmother's birth records. Bingo I found her Baptism Record online. I always look at the image rather than transcription as often additional detail (i.e. date of birth) is written on there somewhere. Although her date of birth was not recorded the letters PB were placed at the edge of the document. Looking down the document I can see That PB was recorded against several of the baptisms, on others dates of birth were recorded others left blank - does anyone know what PB stands for?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Private Baptism - this was usually carried out at the child's home because it was thought that the child might not live. Often the child was later either baptised again in Church or was formally accepted into the Church.

Emeltom

melsibob

Thanks - that is interesting. My great grandmother clearly survived however, on the baptism record is also her brother who I have not been able to find on a census anywhere. I think I may have a death record (not purchased the certificate yet). While looking for records of him I found another child, with the same name who was baptised two years later at a different church. This child's date of birth was recorded as two years after the first baptism I found. Parents details and address were the same. I wondered if the first child was in fact my great grandmother's twin. Thanks for your help.