Default More information on H Campbell Dragoon Guards

I have reached a brick wall on my 2nd great grandfather Henry Campbell who was in the 5th Dragoon Guards.

I have located information about him in Fold3.com such as posting and when he died.

I just subscribed to Forces War records and have now discovered that his service Number is 412 and in
    (1) 1841: Rank: Paymaster Clerk; Location: Manchester and Cahir; Primary Unit: Dragoon Guards; Secondary Unit: 5th Battalion; and
    (2) 1851: Rank: Schoolmaster as Sergeant Duty; Location: Longford Ireland; Primary Unit: 5th Regiment of Dragoon Guards

This is all I can find out about him based on searching his name in the Forces War Records.

Is this the end to what I can find out about him in the Forces War records? If so does anyone know where I would go next to find out more information about him.

I am especially interested in finding out more about when and where he was born, his wife, children etc.

I notice that Forces War Records has a service for discovery and wonder what they can discover that I haven't already discovered.

Is it worth the expense to hire a researcher from Forces War Records?

Any help greatly appreciated.

regards
    Brian

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a British Army Service Record on Find My Past for your man.

DOB. 1813 Castlebar IReland,he served 24 yrs. There is an image of the service record.

Many thanks for this information!

Growing old Disgracefully

Henry Campbell in the UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Admissions and Discharges, 1715-1925

Henry Campbell
    Pension Admission or Examination Age: 43
    Birth Year: abt 1813
    Birth Place: Castlebar, Mayo
    Pension Admission or Examination Date: 12 Feb 1856
    Regiment: 5th Dragoon Guards

Growing old Disgracefully

Is this your Henry Camball and family living in Hove Sussex Occupation is Retired Chief Officer ???? (I can't read this bit) 1901 Census

Name Age
    Henry Campbell
    Margaret Campbell 55
    Frank Campbell 27
    Walter Campbell 15
    Jessie M Campbell 24
    Beatrice M Campbell 21
    Edith M Campbell 19
    Helda P Campbell 13

No I don't think thats him as Found him on another census he Is Cheif Officer IN the Coast Guards SORRY.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

There are also pension records on findmypast. The transcript is below of one. There are more . The images are available for each one. No family information on them...just basic records. For instance this first one records him being transferred to the Donegal district in 1857.

First name(s) Henry
    Last name Campbell
    Birth year -
    Year 1852-62
    Regiment 5th Dragoon Guards
    Regiment / service number as transcribed 5th D Gds
    Pension year 1856
    Return year 1857
    Return month Dec
    Series Wo 22 - Royal Hospital Chelsea: Returns Of Payment Of Army And Other Pensions 1842-1883
    Archive The National Archives
    Archive reference WO 22
    Gortonboy. Mike.

The next year he is claiming his pension in Sligo. The year after he transfers again to Carlow.You can follow these movements by looking at the pension records.
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Died. 28/2/1861.....in Carlow.
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Many thanks! This information adds to what I have been able to locate. I took a wild stab and applied for a birth certificate for a Marianne Campbell in York and just received it today. Was a fantastically lucky guess. His daughter Marianne Campbell was born 19-Jan-1848 Barracks Gate Telford (?) in Walmgate in the City in the County of York and his mother was Marianne Irvine. He is shown as Sergeant 5th Dragoon Guards. The birth was registered on 26-Jan-1848.

Is there anyway to find out more about his death in 1861 in Carlow? Or what happened to his wife? I have the obituary of Marianne his daughter (my great grandmother. It states that she emigrated to Canada when she was 16 with a friend so this would be 1864. She was 13 at the time when her father died. Does anyone know what would happen to her after the death of Henry? Does the mother still receive a pension?
    Thanks!