Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

There is a website covering British boxing history HERE. Their page for military boxers is still under construction, but their "find a boxing ancestor" page lists 4 Charlie Mitchells, one of whom can be eliminated as he didn't start until 1975. The others may be worth checking on. Your guy may be missing as his records are among the military ones waiting for upload, but he might have continued as a civilian and appear on the civillian records after his military boxing career.

You could always contact the site owners. There is a "contact us" page.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    Hi Mark and welcome to the Forum. The edge of the medal should show his Service Number, this will help in narrowing the search as there are several C Mitchells who served with the Sherwood Foresters.
    Hi Peter

The medal has been checked and unfortunately there is no service number on the side. With other members saying this is a boxing medal, this is probably less of a surprise now.

Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I had a horrible feeling that Robert was going to be nan's dad.
    OK. Can nan remember when and where Robert/George died?
    Also what was the name of his wife (i.e. nan's mum) - maiden name as well as first name would be a big bonus. (Just remembered that the maiden name would be on nan's birth certificate, if she has a copy. My mum was born in the 1920s and I don't think she ever had a full copy.) Plus, when was nan's mum's born? (Date and year.) I'm hoping her birthday will help us find her in the 1939 Register, and in turn we'll be able to find Robert/George, and glean a little more infirmation about him.

Pam
    Hi Pam

I have 4 official sources for my great grandfather.
    His death certificate states his Date of Birth as 19th March 1902.
    His DOB on his first military Attestation for the Sherwood Foresters is 16th March 1901
    His DOB on his second military Attestation for the Warwickshire Regiment is 20th March 1902.
    In the 1939 census he lists his DOB as 20th March 1904.
    His marriage certificate to my great nan lists his Dad as Henry Mitchell who is a builder.
    Evidently he was a bit of a liar. Hence my attempt to find his brother- assuming he isn't a liar as well. If i find his brother, i find I'm, was my logic haha but he is proving just as difficult.

To be fair, he might have been guessing rather than lying. They weren’t as obsessed with age as we are, and there are examples of someone making something up when faced with officialdom and a form. I routinely search everyone +/- 2 years, in case. Did he give places?

My own great uncle gave the wrong name for his mother on his father’s death certificate- she had died young and he presumably only ever called her by some variation of “mother”.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Smark25 View Post
    Hi Pam

I have 4 official sources for my great grandfather.
    His death certificate states his Date of Birth as 19th March 1902.
    His DOB on his first military Attestation for the Sherwood Foresters is 16th March 1901
    His DOB on his second military Attestation for the Warwickshire Regiment is 20th March 1902.
    Hi Mark,

Who did he have noted as his next of kin on his military records? And his place of birth?

Quote Originally Posted by shippo View Post
    Hi Mark,

Who did he have noted as his next of kin on his military records? And his place of birth?

He has no next of kin on his military records but says he was born in Liverpool. I have searched the GRO indexes however there are rather a lot of Robert/George Mitchell's so i had hoped finding his brother would prove easier.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    There is a website covering British boxing history HERE. Their page for military boxers is still under construction, but their "find a boxing ancestor" page lists 4 Charlie Mitchells, one of whom can be eliminated as he didn't start until 1975. The others may be worth checking on. Your guy may be missing as his records are among the military ones waiting for upload, but he might have continued as a civilian and appear on the civillian records after his military boxing career.

You could always contact the site owners. There is a "contact us" page.
    Hi Leslie

Thanks for your message. I have just this very second emailed them.

Cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123