Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Probably the best way to find him is to first find your nan's parents on the censuses. Do you have her birth and marriage certificate? If so, as long as they are deceased, you could put her parents names and as much detail as possible on here and we could try to trace them back to find their siblings which should include George and C on at least the 1911 census.
    Edit: From this census you will know for sure what name for C you are looking for. You will also know from the censuses where they were born and then be able to search on the GRO to find their births and their mothers maiden names.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by katarzyna View Post
    Probably the best way to find him is to first find your nan's parents on the censuses. Do you have her birth and marriage certificate? If so, as long as they are deceased, you could put her parents names and as much detail as possible on here and we could try to trace them back to find their siblings which should include George and C on at least the 1911 census.
    Edit: From this census you will know for sure what name for C you are looking for. You will also know from the censuses where they were born and then be able to search on the GRO to find their births and their mothers maiden names.
    katarzyna - you've made the same mistake that I did.
    Robert and C are nan's uncles, so we need the name and details of which of nan's parents is the sibling to them.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    katarzyna - you've made the same mistake that I did.
    Robert and C are nan's uncles, so we need the name and details of which of nan's parents is the sibling to them.

Pam
    hahah. Yes but I thought that we should be able to work that out once we get the names - working backwards from both parents if necessary. Hopefully nan knows which side they will be on.

Hi Pam

No problem.

My Nan knows nothing about that side of her family i am afraid because her father was always very secretive- hence the lack of information. My Nans dad was born in Liverpool, so it is likely his brother was, but he fell out with his family and my Nan never met them, hence i cannot verify for certain any census information. She doesn't remember names of his mum or dad. Also, he went by the names Robert and George intermittently and there are a lot of George and Robert Mitchells in Merseyside.

Thanks

Hi Pam,

Just to corroborate, Robert George is my Nan's Dad. It is Charles/Charlie Mitchell that is her Uncle.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by timbo58 View Post
    It is a boxing medal -so very unlikely to be included in any surviving military records per se I'm afraid. I'd agree the main records are likely to still be retained by the MOD.

They'll require proof of death (copy of death cert usually enough) and date of birth, they usually ask for service number but know full well most don't have it so it isn't essential.

Might be worth contacting the N&D regimental archive JIC however.
    Do you have the Date of Birth?
    If it's pre 1901 then he may well have a record here FREE:

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...ention-records
    If found here it'll contain the MODs own reference numbers for a request to be made also.
    Hi timbo

Thanks for your message.

Its very likely he was born pre 1901 but it is guesswork. I have searched nevertheless for a C Mitchell and although there are promising leads, theres nothing that specifies boxing medal or anything like that I'm afraid. .

What does the acronym JIC mean?

Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Smark25 View Post
    Hi timbo

Thanks for your message.

Its very likely he was born pre 1901 but it is guesswork. I have searched nevertheless for a C Mitchell and although there are promising leads, theres nothing that specifies boxing medal or anything like that I'm afraid. .

What does the acronym JIC mean?

Thanks

Mark
    Joint Intelligence Committee

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks Christina

I may be being naive here but where would i find the Nottinhgmahsire and Derbyshire JIC? I am not even sure it exists any longer haha

Mark

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Pam

No problem.

My Nan knows nothing about that side of her family i am afraid because her father was always very secretive- hence the lack of information. My Nans dad was born in Liverpool, so it is likely his brother was, but he fell out with his family and my Nan never met them, hence i cannot verify for certain any census information. She doesn't remember names of his mum or dad. Also, he went by the names Robert and George intermittently and there are a lot of George and Robert Mitchells in Merseyside.

Thanks
    I had a horrible feeling that Robert was going to be nan's dad.
    OK. Can nan remember when and where Robert/George died?
    Also what was the name of his wife (i.e. nan's mum) - maiden name as well as first name would be a big bonus. (Just remembered that the maiden name would be on nan's birth certificate, if she has a copy. My mum was born in the 1920s and I don't think she ever had a full copy.) Plus, when was nan's mum's born? (Date and year.) I'm hoping her birthday will help us find her in the 1939 Register, and in turn we'll be able to find Robert/George, and glean a little more infirmation about him.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam,

Just to corroborate, Robert George is my Nan's Dad. It is Charles/Charlie Mitchell that is her Uncle.

Mark
    Do you have your Nan's birth certificate? What is her father's occupation? Mother's maiden name? Then R G's marriage certificate to your Nan's mum could be found and purchased from the GRO to see what it says about RG's father's name and occupation. Or do yu already have this marriage certificate?

Christina

Snap Pam
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast