Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Workhouse Records

I've made quite a bit of progress researching my ancestor Elizabeth Brunning (nee Taylor or Balls). A missing bit of information is still where Elizabeth Brunning (born 1794 in St. Michael, South Elmham, Suffolk) is for the 1841 census. I think she is in the Blything Union Workhouse aged 45 with occupation of cook. This might explain why her two children (George and Martha) were living with their grandmother (Elizabeth's mother Martha Taylor) at the time of the 1841 census. Elizabeth was widowed in 1832. The person above Elizabeth in the schedule seems to be a man with the same name and a baker which is causing me doubt.

Would 'cook' refer to her work in the workhouse, what she did previously or that she had work outside the workhouse?

Can anyone see her anywhere else in 1841 please?

The Elizabeth BRUNNING in the Blything Union workhouse is listed as 'not born in county'. If you are sure of your Elizabeth's birth in South Elmham, then they are less likely to be the same person.

I think the person above Elizabeth on the workhouse schedule is 'Jno' which is short for Jonathan.

A Jonathan BRUNNING married Elizabeth HOW 17th September 1811 at Ashbocking, Suffolk.

Having said that, I haven't found your Elizabeth anywhere else on the 1841 Census! There are only 24 Brunnings born 1794 -/+ 5years, anywhere in England, Wales or Scotland. Five of them are Elizabeths, one is Betsy. None of them seem to fit. Surname variants yield nothing.

Perhaps a bad transcription, or a change of name? Or I've missed something!

Peter

Your thoughts etc. are very helpful. I was suspicious of this Elizabeth being mine and although I found quite a few others in the 1841 census none of them really seemed to fit, as you say. I appreciate the time you've taken which reflects my own thoughts but I needed a second opinion.

I suspect she is hiding somewhere under a badly mis-transcribed name!

Reputation beyond repute

The Brunnings are listed immediately after the Master and Matron and before the schoolmaster. Also. the first nine names on the schedule are bracketed together. This leads one to believe that they were staff, not inmates.

Jno is short for John. Always.

John and Elizabeth Brunning may be together in Wenhaston in the 1851 census. What do you think?

Starting to feel at home

Why do you think Elizabeth is a widow?

George or Martha - which is your direct ancestor and do you have their baptisms/births? Something doesn't seem quite right.
    I cannot find George or Martha Brunning with Martha Taylor on 1841 census. Do you have a link/ref?

Starting to feel at home

Found them on 1841 census living Honey Pot Lane, Halesworth, Blything
    Martha Taylor Female 70 1771 -
    George Taylor Male 14 1827 -
    Martha Brunning Female 10 1831 Suffolk, England
    Harriet Todd Female 27 1814 Suffolk, England
    Maria Todd Female 0 1841 Suffolk, England

It does look like Martha and George may possibly be the grandchildren of Martha Taylor.
    Elizabeth Brunning nee Taylor b 1794 could possibly be Martha Taylors daughter.
    Martha Taylor and George Taylor were both born out of county as was the Elizabeth Brunning you found in 1841 census. - Elizabeth with John as baker and cook in the workhouse.
    Possible that Elizabeth had George out of wedlock in c 1827, married John Brunning and then had Martha in 1831 legitimately.
    John and Elizabeth can be found on 1851 and John as Widower on 1861 census Wenhaston, Blything
    Elizabeth b Middlesex and John b Darsham, Suffolk

I've been going round in circles with this but can answer a few of the above questions.

I have a death record for Henry Brunning in 1832 in Rumburgh and it gives his age as 29 years old which would suggest a birth year of 1803. I have not been able to confirm his birth in records. This makes Elizabeth Brunning his widow.

Henry and Elizabeth's daughter Martha is my ancestor and I have a record for her baptised on 30th October 1831 in Chediston, Suffolk – probably named after Elizabeth’s mother. I have a birth record for George Taylor Brunning on 8th July 1829 in the Independent records for Halesworth, Suffolk. I believe George was born before Henry married Elizabeth but Henry recognised George as his son. I can't find George Taylor/Brunning anywhere else in later census.

Further complications I can't unravel are that I now have the wrong 1861 death certificate for Elizabeth Brunning in Thorington, Suffolk. Elizabeth is noted as the widow of Samuel Brunning a farm labourer. A possible is the death of a 76 year old Elizabeth in 1868 in Marylebone - daughter Martha was in that sort of area in the 1861 census. I can't see Elizabeth Brunning in the 1871 census and no other likely candidates between 1861 and 1871.

Starting to feel at home

Did Martha Brunning marry Isaac Clark Jun 1859 Mildenhall?

Starting to feel at home

What about this death for Elizabeth?

BRUNNING, ELIZABETH 68
    GRO Reference: 1858 D Quarter in BLYTHING Volume 04A Page 419

Did you notice that Martha Taylor and George Taylor(Brunning) on 1841 were born out of the county?

Thank you - I looked at that but am fairly sure I have the right Elizabeth in the 1861 census in Halesworth, Suffolk as a 64 year old servant working in the household as a nurse. A very precise place of birth gives me confidence she is mine.

I did notice that Martha and George were said to be born outside of Suffolk and I'm taking that to be an error!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast