Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Understanding Internment record

From FMP I have gleaned the following record relating to the internment of an individual during 1914-1918.

" 263.542. Langwasser Jacob. Torquay. 56/40 BB Wife. 3 ch. Quarryman. Classes 6 and 7. - (2 sons serving)". I assume BB stands for "British Born" and would like to know what the other annotations stand for.Jacob was born in Bavaria in 1862 and married in Devon in 1885. He had 2 sons and a daughter. In 1901 he was described as "Naturalised" and when his sons' enlistment in 1914 was reported in the press his address was given Ellacombe, Torquay.

The Manx Museum site contains the following information. Jacob Langwasser was discharged from Knockaloe camp on 18 Sept 1919. Internee number 19494. Ref No .265/1773.

There was a second Jacob Langwasser, b c 1879, of Bideford, who is also believed to have been interned.

I would welcome any help to discover more about where and when Jacob of Torquay was interned and to determine to which Jacob the discharge notice refers.

I am re-booting this in the hope that it might catch the eye of someone who missed it first time around.

Any suggestions as to how I may learn more of this man's period of internment will be much appreciated.

"dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

If you can still access FMP check the "Britain, Enemy Aliens and Internees etc ...." record set for Alfred Zander - should return 1 hit (page 30). Click on image and, when displayed, use > to view next image (page 30a). This should be headed "Class 7 London".

I have found -
    "Class 5 London",
    "Class I" - which refers to " ...Germans living in London"
    "Class III" - which refers to " ... Germans living in both London and the Country ..."

The records appear to be grouped by town/city and yet to determine if "London" has any significance in determining the Class number.

Same packdrill - check the record set for "Simon Allerdist" - should return 2 hits. Choose 2nd entry which should return page 157. Use < to page back to page 153. Notes somewhat damaged and don't answer your "Class" query - but may be of interest.

Thanks for resurrecting this post. I've been checking Hansard which has proved very interesting.

Bingo!
    Same packdrill - search for "Gustave Zwinsoher". Two hits - select 1st entry. Should return page 70. Use > to move to page 72.

Thanks, Helachau. Looks like I need to book a session the library although it seems unlikely that I am going to find any additional personal information relating to Jacob. A better understanding of what I already have will be something.