Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default WW2 Soldier's records

Hi
    Can anyone advise me on when WW2 soldiers records may become available for viewing?

I have a relative (b. 1919, not my direct blood line) that was supposed to have been a Japanese POW, but his family do not know whether this was a 'tale'.

I have the said relatives first marriage certificate (1941) and on it his occupation is recorded as 'Private 6291703, The Buffs (Fisherman)' which would suggest he was in the Army, but whilst home to get married and before he joined up he was a fisherman.

I can't find any records on the usual sites so assume it is because they are still 'closed'.

Cheers

SP

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Sue,

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the service records to be released online. Many of the service personnel would still have been alive in 2000, and some, like my uncle, are still alive.
    However, all records are 'open' subject to certain conditions.
    You can send for anyone's records provided they died more than twenty-five years ago. You send thirty pounds and a copy of their death certificate.
    If the person died less than twenty-five years ago then limited details will be released.

If you are the next of kin of someone, or obtain the signed permission of the next of kin, then you can send for the records regardless of how recent a death may have been. You still have to send thirty quid and a copy of the death certificate.

Full details with links to the forms to send can be found here.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

To add to Pam’s text, there are organizations for former Japanese POWs, it might be worth checking with them. This is coming from memory, no urls or names with me, but I’m sure Google* will supply them.
    *other search engines are available!

Hi

Thanks Pam & Lesley.

He died 1977 so well over 25 years ago!

I did a Google search and have just checked out the common FH sites so far.

I will let relative know what you have both suggested. I presume Pam's suggestion will be pondered over as it seems she has searched for records on the internet!

Cheers

SP

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I presume you've checked for his name on Forces War Records because they do have some records for PoWs in the Far East.
    Don't know if this link will work. (You might have to be signed in to the FWR site to see it. If you're not a member then you can register for free to search for names.)
    https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...of-war-1942-46

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam

I've looked at this site with no joy!

I also looked at National Archives.

Thanks

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

I also looked at National Archives.
    Sp presumably you have read this research guide

Have you done what it says in section 7 and looked at Findmypast?

Hi Peter

I had gone onto FmyP too! But just general info such as his birth and marriages came up.

I read some, but not all! I will check it out again in light of the NA 7 comments. Thankyou.

Sue