Default Samuel Nathan Feloniously Killed and Slayed

I have been asked if I know where Samuel Nathan is buried. My answer is no. This meant I spent several fruitless hours trying to find a burial for him - in December 1842. I am absolutely useless at finding stuff so rather than sit here for more hours can someone please point me in the right direction. You don't need to give all the details of the burial just the place you find it.
    I have the coroners report and the newspaper reports of the trial of those who murdered him. I have his death certificate I just don't have a place of burial. It would be nice to be able to tell my cousins
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If Samuel was Jewish Philip may be able to give you a nudge in the right direction, but meanwhile can you confirm that he's the Samuel whose death was registered in St George Southwark registration district in December quarter 1842?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reading the newspaper reports of the assault on Samuel Nathan it gives his age as 50 picture dealer or broker and says his residence was in Borough Road. There was the Borough Road New Synagogue in Walworth 1823-1927 later closed and amalgamated.
    This is a Synagogue where my Simmonds relatives played a significant role. However, I need to re-read the publications on the Synagogue to identify where individuals were buried.
    The burial would have to be Jewish and I have no doubt Samuel Nathan was a Jew unless information suggests otherwise.

Who was his wife/children?
    I have already looked on Cemetery Scribes and JewishGen for any burial records for Samuel but can't locate them.
    In addition, during WW2 numbers of London Synagogues were destroyed by bombing- see The Lost Synagogues of London, P Renton 2000 which includes the Borough Synagogue -from memory I am not sure if the original Synagogue survived.
    I will look further.
    Phillip

For clarity and for other researchers see Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA 850 Samuel Nathan 1 Borough Road Southwark. This extract includes a brief reference to his assault and death plus reference to his wife Hannah Mendes and some of his children and relatives.

Given his address it is more than likely that Samuel was a member of the Borough Road New Synagogue and is buried close to that location. However, I am also aware that just because a person lived in a locality they did not necessarily attend the local synagogue and could specify where they were buried. The Jewish custom of burial is usually 1-3 days from death.
    Phillip

Thank you Phillip. Samuel's marriage was at the Great Synagogue in 1808. Don't know if that's any help. Off the top of my head his children were David, Aaron, John, Abraham, Jane, Fanny, Henry, I am sure there are others but I am in the sitting room with the laptop and the records are in the study with the desktop. I do have the computers networked but the wifi won't go through the wall from the study to the sitting room *sigh*. Samuel is my 2 x great grandfather.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

The United Synagogue Findagrave website has 15 Jewish cemeteries listed and you can do a name and date search. There are Samuel Nathan but not the one who died in 1842. There is also the JCR UK Website which has data on the former Borough Synagogue Walworth Road London SE17- this gives a historic overview of the Synagogue.
    See also online History of the Borough Synagogue Rev.M Rosenbaum 1917- this includes references to various key members of the Synagogue and its origins. I looked for Samuel Nathan but he is not listed.

Researchers need to be aware that some Jewish cemeteries were removed to other locations such as the Nuevo cemetery. I also know from my research that early cemeteries were built on and any tombstones removed or destroyed.
    There is still an immense amount of work needed to photograph and record the Jewish tombstones and Cemetery Scribes is a crucial resource. It is likely that the tombstone of Samuel Nathan may not be located for the reasons I have given but there is so much data being added to various sites that I would keep options open.
    Phillip

Phillip

Thank you Phillip, I had looked on findagrave but hadn't found anything. I thought it might be because I never find anything in searches but rather hoped it was because he simply isn't listed. I don't know where is wife Hannah is buried either. She died in Doctor's Commons in 1868 - 9th June, the cause of death was exhaustion from the effects of a fall. She was in her eighties then.

I think this maybe Hannah Nathan burial- HANNAH NATHAN burial 12/06/1868 ORCHM 28 40.West Ham Cemetery Buckingham Road Forest Lane London E15 1SP. Founded 1857. Registers held in the East Ham Cemetery Office. Special permission is required to visit because the cemetery is closed.

I know that certain graves were re-interred from Hoxton but have no idea if these included Samuel Nathan because he had died in 1842. It would be worth checking to see if Hannah is buried near to him but this is a long shot.

See the website International Cemetery Project for West Ham Cemetery which contains a lot more information on the cemetery.

If you or any relatives should visit the cemetery it would be very useful to take a photo of the grave/tombstone ( I know many tombstones have not weathered well and many graves do not have tombstones) and if possible submit to Cemetery Scribes. They can transcribe Hebrew script and fill in any data where possible.

I hope this helps.

Phillip

I am not going to ever visit the cemetery, too many medical issues are restricting my travelling. Thank you for all your help.