Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Understanding Naval Records

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry if this has already been answered but I couldn't find anything with a search.

I've just received my Grandfather's Navy Service Records from 1942 to 1945, and then again in the Reserves from 1950 to 1954 as an RP3.

It lists what I assumed were ships that he'd served on, but on googling it looks like they're all stone frigates. Would this be what was normally seen on a service record, and if so, is there any way to go about finding out which ships he sailed on?

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    Do you know what his trade was in the RN? It's possible that if he was in admin, he didn't go to sea. Were all of his bases in the UK, or abroad?

BTW I've moved your query to the Royal Navy Forum as people who work on the subject are more likely to see it there.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for moving!

He definitely served at sea. He was awarded the Atlantic Star with the France & Germany clasp (which hang proudly on my living room wall!) and we know from when he used to talk to my Dad about it that he also served in the North Sea.

That's the bit I'm most interested in, as I'm trying to determine whether he would have been eligible for the Arctic Star as well.