Default SeasMac searching for WW1 Italian Service

Good day ...
    I joined this forum today and am researching my Uncle's WW1 service history. I live in Scotland, am in my 60s and have a lot of facts about my uncle's war record, but want to make them into a proper story - any help will be appreciated.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    It would be easier to help with a bit more info. Firstly, you could clarify the title - did he serve in Italy? With the Brits or he Italian forces?
    If you tell us what you know, want to know and what his name and number were, that will also help.

Default Thank you for your reply

I'm trying to find out a little more of my Uncle's WW1 service. He was a Private in 2BN Queens Royal West Surreys 1914 - 1920. Prior to WW1 he was a bandsman in the London Regiment from 1908 - 1914 so he became a stretcher bearer. I know he was on the Western Front although don't know more than that, but I have a photo of him in St Marks Square Venice, with 3 comrades in arms, but never knew he served in Italy - but he wouldn't have been there during WW1 for any other reason. The photo has a great story attached to it, and if poss I'd like to know who the other men were.

I've researched as far as I know how to but as I'm new to this, any help is very welcome.

Thank you so much.

Forgot to add - He was Pte Jesse H Varnes, L/9252.

Thank you.

Famous for offering help & advice

On 20 Dec 1915 the 2nd Bn Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment) transferred to the 91st Brigade, 7th Division. Their regimental war diary seems to be incomplete, but the Divisional HQ diary shows that the entire Division began moving to Italy from 17 Nov 1917. From the Divisional HQ Diary:

MARESQUEL, 17 November 1917
    The Division commenced entrainment for Italy.
    The following Units entrained: [followed by list of units & locations]

MARESQUEL, 18 November 1917
    The entrainment of the Division was continued.
    Divisional Headquarters entrained at HESDIN, and moved off at 7.58 pm.
    The following units also entrained:

AT ANVIN
    2nd The Queen’s Regt
    1st S Staffords Regt

Famous for offering help & advice

Just to add that I've had a quick scan through the diary & it looks like they arrived 25 Nov 1917 and by 28th they were at Ponte-di-Mossano.

This is very good to know - the photo I have is of Jesse and 4 comrades, mimicking an earlier photo of 4 staff officers who were, presumably, on a visit to Venice. As far as I know they got caught taking the "mick" and were put on a fizzer. I have a copy of the photo of the officers too, and want to try to find out names if I can. I have a name for one of the tommies, who was a sapper RE, also his fathers name and address, as my Uncle noted on the reverse of the photo that this lad had died, and he wrote "a great sapper - R.I.P. my mate".................