obdavies

Default overseas during 1851 census

I am struggling to find the 1851 census entry for a John Ayerst, born 1816 in Chatham Kent. In 1841 he was he was ‘gunner in the Royal Artillery’ based at Woolwich Dockyard and in 1861 he was a ‘Merchant Seaman‘ living ibn Middlesbrough, Yorkshire. I have found his wife’s 1851 census record Class: HO107; Piece: 1610; Folio: 54; Page: 37; but John is not with her. So it is possible that in 1851 he was overseas either with the Royal Artillery or on a ship in the Merchant Navy. Are there census records for either of those eventualities?

Can I just confirm the 1841 Census. I have found "John Ayers, age 25, Gunner & Driver R. Artillery (7th Battalion) - HO107 493 4 3". However "Born in County" is marked "N", indicating not born Kent.

The 1861 Census states "born Chatham" - if I have the right record.

Have you checked FindMyPast - Merchant Seaman records? There are 2 possible entries - 1845 and 1853.

Do you have a marriage cert - there's a possible marriage 5 Feb 1849 of a John Ayerst and Caroline Watson, Frindsbury, Kent (FMP transcription). This could provide occupation pre 1851.

There is a snippet in Lloyds List, 29 Jan 1852
    Bridlington Quay, 24 Jan
    SHEPHERD (schooner), of Stockton, from Hartlepool for Rochester; deposition of John Ayerst, master (5816)

A couple of baptisms for a John and Caroline Ayerst, Middlesbrough, 1859 and 1860 give occupation "Mariner" .
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

The 1849 marriage is online and the groom’s occupation is "seaman".

I don't think shipping enumeration books for the 1851 census survived.

obdavies

Yes, that is the correct marriage record from the 5th Feb 1849. I hadn't noticed that on the 1841 census, however I am certain that the 1861 census is correct when John is with his wife and their daughter, my great grandmother. I have found disjointed records of John's 1853 to 1857 Merchant Navy Records at BT116/3, plus of course the Board of Trade record registering the death aboard the Concord. Though I'm still unsure whether the 'Middlesbrough' on that record is regarding where he lived at that time, whether he died in port aboard the Concord or whether he died at sea and the Concord was simply registered in Middlesbrough.

obdavies

helachau, would Woolwich Dockyard be regarded as being in Kent in 1841?

"dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"