obdavies

Default Death Certificate for a 'Death at Sea'

Perhaps someone with far more experience in genealogy could suggest an explanation for a problem I’m encountering with my 2x Great Grandfather, John Ayerst a Merchant Seaman, born 1816 in Chatham. By the time of his death he was married with family in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire.

According to the government records, he died on the 20th December 1860 aboard a ship name ‘Concord’ of ‘Apopolary’ (Apoplexy?).

The questions I struggle with are;

1. If he died on the 20th December 1860 why did it take until the 20th December 1862 to ‘dispose of the effects’ and why were the Board of Trade not notified until the 6th January 1863? Is it possible that the death was mistakenly registered as 1860, when it was in fact 1862, which would explain the delay over the Christmas period in reporting the death to the Board of Trade? Are the fact that the day and the month, 20th December, are exactly the same simply a coincidence?
    2. That would also account for the second problem, that is why if he died in December 1860 does he appear in the 1861 census at home in Middlesbrough with his wife and daughter Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 3688; Folio: 35; Page: 17;
    3. Why does no death certificate appear available and why is the death not recorded in the GRO? Is it possible that he died aboard the ‘Concord’ while at sea and the reason the death was recorded as happening at ‘Middlesbrough’ is that that was where the ship was registered?
    4. Can anyone suggest where I might find any further details on this death? I have tried the Board of Trade in Middlesbrough and Newcastle (where the records of that period were transferred to, but no information is available.

RECORDS
    Death
    Name:AYERST, John
    Date of death:20 December 1860
    Port received from:
    Port belongs to:Middl
    Ship's name:Concord
    Series:BT153 - Registers of Wages and Effects of Deceased Seamen
    Box:0005
    Page:116

Deaths at sea, 1781-1968
    First name(s) John
    Last name Ayerst
    Gender Male
    Birth year -
    Death year 1860
    Death date 20 Dec 1860
    Vessel name Concord
    Home port Middl
    Departure port -
    Series BT 153
    Box 0005
    Page 116
    Record set Deaths at sea, 1781-1968
    Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
    Subcategory Deaths & burials
    Collections from Great Britain

Name of Deceased: Ayerst John
    Name of Ship: Concord
    Official Number: 25288 Midd
    Date of Engagement: 10.12.60
    Cause, Place & Date of Death as reported: Apopolary (Apoplexy?)
    Effects, how disposed of: Det to Son
    Shipping Office
    When Paid: 30.12.62
    Where Paid: Middlesbro
    Total Amount of Wages & Effects: £1 5s 0p
    Date when sent to Board of Trade: 6.1.63

Can anyone offer advice that may help me or direct me to a source where I could purchase a record to assist me in obtaining a death certificate?

obdavies

I appreciate that there is a recorded death of a John Ayerst in Rotherhithe in December 1862, but that was a local policemen, not a Merchant Seaman.

Deaths Dec 1862
    AYERST John Rotherhithe 1d 409

Starting to feel at home

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp

register or log in
    Select - Order certificates /pdf
    select - Deaths overseas events
    Is the GRO Index Reference Number known? Answer No
    Add year of event and Submit.
    Fill in form with any other detail you know.

As you haven't found the event to get a ref number bear in mind that it could be they do not have the event registered at GRO as early as 1860. They will search 2 years either side of the year you quote in case it was registered at a later date.

You can phone or write to GRO if you prefer.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you read the research guide?

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...sea-or-abroad/

obdavies

Thanks 'Katarzyna;, I have applied for the certificate, including the day of birth and the date of death from the Board of Trade record, though if it's not in the GRO I am not hopeful. Peter, I've read that research guide and followed it through to search, thank you, however it shows no record of the event.

Morning Advertiser, 6 Dec 1860
    Bridlington, Dec. 4. - ........; a boat, 17 feet long, marked "Concord of Stockton, Henry Hawes**", came ashore last night north of the harbour."

Other newspapers reported the name as "Harris", "Haver" or "Hawes".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The next sighting is Shipping & Mercantile Gazette, 30 May, 1861
    Middlesbrough
    Arrived [May 29] Concord, Hawes, from London
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

obdavies

Finally solved this one after years of trying and learned a valuable lesson in the process, where possible get the certificate and don't dismiss anything.

After years of searching Board of Trade records for a possible insight into John Ayerst's death 'at sea', I finally decided to obtain the 1862 death certificate in Rotherhithe. To be honest, I only did it so that I could have definitive proof that this was not the correct record, as others had suggested.

What do you know, it was the correct one, a John Ayerst aged 45 a "seaman of the brig Concord' death recorded as "natural suddenly of apoplexy" (odd the 'natural suddenly') and the 'Informant' was a William Carter the Coroner for Surrey at an inquest held at the 23 December 1862.

Lesson learnt - get the certificate!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by obdavies View Post
    I appreciate that there is a recorded death of a John Ayerst in Rotherhithe in December 1862, but that was a local policemen, not a Merchant Seaman.

Deaths Dec 1862
    AYERST John Rotherhithe 1d 409
    Pleased you found him but why did you think this one might be a policeman???

obdavies

For two reasons, firstly the Board of Trade report of the death, when finally found, is misreported as the 20 December 1860, rather than the correct 20 December 1862, so the year was wrong for the correct death. Secondly census return Class: RG11; Piece: 580; Folio: 118; Page: 41; is about a policeman named John Ayerst who was born in Chatham (same as my John Ayerst) and was a policemen in Rotherhithe (where my John Ayerst died).