Starting to feel at home

Default Violent assault reported in Birmingham Daily

In Birmingham Daily Post dated 30 Dec 1886 it appears my gt gt grandad was in court for assault of a female named Emma Simcox "wife of ?? evidence showed that the parties......" - that is as much as I can read, can anyone help re the whole article. Thanks Debbie

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Debbie,

T&Cs of both FMP and Brit-Gen prevent copying of the whole article.

Your local library may offer free access to FMP (and/or the British Newspaper Archive). If you haven't taken out a free 14-day trial with FMP, then you could do that (and possibly opt for a further month's paid sub); remember to tick/untick (sorry, can't remember which one it is!) the auto-renew box if you don't want a paid sub.
    At one time you could buy PayAsYouGo credits on FMP. Can't see the option at the moment, though I can see page links, so have written to ask FMP what's going on.

The gist of the article is that Emma tried to stop James hitting one of his children, so he then turned and hit her instead. Got sent to jail for a month.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Pam your response is much appreciated

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Debbie, did you find the article? If not let me know as i found it.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Shippo l haven't seen the article yet as I don't subscribe to British Newspapers, can you just tell me the area the assault took place or which Court. Thanks Debbie

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Debbiexx View Post
    Hi Shippo l haven't seen the article yet as I don't subscribe to British Newspapers, can you just tell me the area the assault took place or which Court. Thanks Debbie
    The article comes under the heading District News Longton. His address is given as Cross St. They were neighbours

A fountain of knowledge

LONGTON
    VIOLENT ASSULT - At the Stipendiary's Court yesterday, James Deaville, coffin maker, Cross st, was charged with having assulted Emma Simcox, wife of a gravedigger - The evidence showed that the parties are neighbours and that on the 28th inst. the complainant interfered to prevent the defendant from beating on of his children, while he was under the influence of drink. Defendant was so much enraged at this that he took up a piece of wood and struck the complainant with it, causing an ugly wound on the cheek, immediatley below the eye and rendering her insensible by the violence of the blow. - There was no defence, and the defendant was committed to prison for a month, with hard labour, without the option of a fine.

Starting to feel at home

Wow nasty man, we suspected he was a drinker. Deserved to go to prison. He ended up in the workhouse, my gt gt grandmother having had enough of him no doubt. Thank you so much for your effort and time in looking for this for me Debbie