Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Help for research

Hello Everyone,

I am researching the story of Isaac Evans. He was born on 20-10-1911 in West Hartlepool. He married Elizabeth Taylor she was born on 04-07-1911 in Bishop Auckland they had one son he was born in 1939.
    Isaac served in the military during world war 2 and survived the war. He never spoke about it. I hope someone can help me in my research.

1939 register:
    Evans Household
    16,Rosslyn street York
    Elizabeth 04-07-1911 Unpaid Domestic Duties
    Isaac 20-10-1911 Pneumatic Driller

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    When you say you need help researching Isaac Evans are you referring particularly to his war service? If so you won't find anything about it online as the MoD hold all service records after 1920. You can apply for them at a cost of 30 pounds and will need a copy of his death certificate. You already know his birth date. However as his death registration is Jan 2000 read the information in the link contained in this 'sticky' carefully as it will affect how much information will be released because of time restrictions and the applicants relationship to the deceased.

If you also want to follow Isaac and his ancestors we can help with that.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Christina,

Thank you for your reply! Finding out more about his war service is indeed very important to me. I am in touch with his grandson and I am going to send my request with the consent of next of kin to the MoD. Lets hope they can help me with that!
    Learning more about him and his ancestors would also be really nice! The only information I have is that Isaac Evans and his wife Elizabeth Evans had one son Michael Evans. born in 1939 They lived at 16th Rosslyn street in York and Isaac worked as a Pneumatic Driller.

Yannick

So Isaac and Elizabeth married in the Dec 1/4 1932. This certificate would give you the names of their father's and their occupations.

Birth registration
    Isaac Evans Dec 1/4 1911 registration district Hartlepool vol 10a page 282 Mother's maiden name Bruce.

Marriage on FreeBMD
    John Evans and Mary Gale Bruce reg dist Whitby Yorkshire Sept 1/4 1905 vol 9d page 824.

1911 census
    30 Charlotte Street West Hpool
    John Evans 28 Strike Plater helper (ship building) born Hartlepool
    Mary Gale Evans 28 born Whitby 2 children to the marriage so far 2 still alive.
    William Harrison Evans 5 Whitby
    Maggie Evans 3 Hartlepool

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator

Default WW2 Service Records

If you subscribe to World Wide Ancestry. You can get WW2 service records now.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    If you subscribe to World Wide Ancestry. You can get WW2 service records now.
    Only US Army Service Records. UK Army Service records are closed. You need to follow Christanel's advice.

Super Moderator

Default WW2 Service Records

Does that mean that Fold 3 (or whatever it is called) would not give me any info. on WW2 British Army records? I don't have that subscription but have thought about getting the whole lot.

Perhaps there are other sites that would be a better option. Does anyone know of any?

For a few days before Christmas I had free access to what I think may have been Forces War Records. I keep receiving emails now advising me that they have information on people I am trying to trace. I can only think that they get that info from Ancestry as I do not use any other sites for family history now.

By the way it is All Access Membership on Ancestry not World Wide.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Does that mean that Fold 3 (or whatever it is called) would not give me any info. on WW2 British Army records? I don't have that subscription but have thought about getting the whole lot.

Perhaps there are other sites that would be a better option. Does anyone know of any?

For a few days before Christmas I had free access to what I think may have been Forces War Records. I keep receiving emails now advising me that they have information on people I am trying to trace. I can only think that they get that info from Ancestry as I do not use any other sites for family history now.

By the way it is All Access Membership on Ancestry not World Wide.
    Sue - Fold 3 will not give you any service records relating to British personnel who served after 1921.
    As has already been stated, the only people who (currently) have those records are the Ministry of Defence.

Fold 3, along with other sites, have certain records relating to specific parts of someone's service. e.g. winning an award or being promoted. Details which were published separately (usually in the press). Though different sites have different records, some will have the same.
    To check exactly what Fold 3 have (for WWII):
    On their home page scroll down till you see the option to select WWII. Click.
    Then select WWII from the first column, and select an option from the second column.
    Some titles are a little ambiguous but if you click on one you get directed to another page which has a little i in a circle next to the title. Click on that for more information about that particular record set. Be aware that where it says things like National Archives RG64 it probably means American National Archives.

On my google travels I also found this - https://www.rootschat.com/forum/inde...topic=765495.0

Re emails from Forces War Records do they mention people with the same surnames that you would have searched for while you had access? I think I can 100% say that FWR will not get information from Ancestry about people you might be searching for.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

Thanks Pam. I can't remember who I was searching for on Forces war Records. I am working on a few trees for various people at the moment. Friends know I enjoy researching so often ask if I can find anything out for them. The latest was a friend whose father served in Iceland during WW2. My friend was visiting Iceland and was hoping to find out where his father was stationed. Almost impossible to find out such info.

I think I will give up on WW2 records for now, although I have found an uncle who served in the British Navy and then the Australian Navy, that was through my free access.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you very much!! it is Always great to see new information about him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast