Default Temporarily realeased from RAF

I'm new to this forum and I have a couple of queries regarding my father's RAF record. I'm hoping somebody will have the answer to this particular stumbling block. My father joined the RAF in 1927 after going down the mines at a very young age, but in 1948 he was "temporarily released RAF KR??? resuming employment in coal mines" This means he was not a youngster any more! He then re-enlisted in 1951 and later that same year he was sent to South Africa for 2 1/2 years. From that time he continued his RAF career, posted abroad to Christmas Island and also stationed in the UK, until retirement in 1962.
    Does anybody have any theories as to why he was temporarily released and then taken back into the RAF. I can't believe he was working down the mines during that time as he would have been about 40 years old and had been absent from mining for many years.
    The information I have is from his Service Record.
    Thank you for reading this.

Did he have special expertise in some aspect of mining?

PS Welcome in!

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

KR refers to Kings Regulations, so he must have had some skill in mining that was needed at the time. Either that or they just needed miners at that time???
    By the 50's weren't the mines in a bit of a decline, so back to RAF as a better job?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Interesting temporary release.
    What trade was he?
    Release date is after 15 years service, through the war years.
    Could he had gone to a civil department for say, development of planes or weapons?

Thank you for your replies. What does the "Kings Regulations" imply? My father does not appear to have any special skills or trades. I don't know where he was originally a miner before he enlisted for the RAF, probably in the Doncaster area, but he did not have a particular skill, as far as we know. In the RAF he was mainly a storekeeper, aircraft hand and Acting Flight Sergeant. He was trained as a barrage balloon operator and continued in that field for a good few years. When he was re-enlisted he was put on a "Special Duties List" ?? and posted to South Africa almost immediately.

A fountain of knowledge

If it mentioned KR then did it have a number after that?
    Kings regulations are effectively the rule book for that service at that time and all the 'rules' have numbers and paragraphs which tell you what the rule is.

Where would I find a list of KR regulations? I have tried to find it but have not been able to. I am also unable to read what it says after KR, so I have attached a photo to see if anybody can decipher it. Your help would be much appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

That has got me stumped, I have no idea what is written after KR.
    Can you post a bit more of those two lines, to the left, so we can read both lines fully?
    This is what a book of KR looks like - https://www.rlcarchive.org/FreeKingsRegsSrch , but that one is too old.
    Another example here - https://www.rootschat.com/forum/inde...topic=668963.0

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Could it be "tab 9"? Or "1"?

Knowledgeable and helpful

I think it's an abbreviation of The King's Regulations and Air Council Instructions for the Royal Air Force 1943, i.e. K R + A C I.

If you fancy reading them (1497 pages!), they're on Forces War Records:

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...ocument&page=2

Scroll down to the second item from bottom.

Peter