Super Moderator

Default Ammunition worker - Coventry WW2

Does anyone know if it is possible to find out if a relative did actually work in Coventry in an ammunition factory during WW2?

My aunty was born in Rhyl, North Wales. I have her up to 1936 in London, then 1939 in Prestatyn, back to London from 1946. So she is missing from 1940 to 1945.

She always said she worked in Coventry, although she spent the last 20 or so years back in Rhyl until her death in 1977.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I can't tell you whether there are any records, or if there are where they are, but, my mum who was born and brought up in Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, had, as most girls of her age to do war work, and she always used to tell us that she had a choice of either going and becoming a nurse in London or going and working in a munitions factory in Coventry, and she chose the former.

It may have been that other girls had already been co opted to Coventry, and she went nursing before the same happened to her ...... I think that it would have been the Ministry of Labour, but I am sure that someone else can correct me if I am wrong on the name of the Govt Dept.