Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default ROBINS family emigrated to Australia in 1911

My interest in this family began with the showing of Walter Robins in the ANZAC memorial in Albany, WA, in a TV programme about Jane McDonald going cruising in Australia. The guide told Jane that Walter had joined the Australian forces, came to England, married over here, and after he was killed his widow went to Australia to live with Walter's parents, and died aged 84 after never re-marrying.

Walter Robins died 13 May 1918, and from the information on the CWGC site I found the names of his parents and wife and then traced the following.

Walter, birth registered December quarter 1891 Solihull, mother's maiden name Watts.
    1901 census living in Watford. RG13/1316 folio 120 page 24
    1911 census living in Watford. RG14PN7704 SN68
    Emigrated on the Papanui, which left London on 19 August 1911 for Freemantle.

Walter married Frances SKINNER, December quarter 1917, St Olave registration district.
    FMP have a Mrs Frances Robins leaving London on the Osterley on 19 May 1919, bound for Australia.

Walter's father was George Ernest ROBINS.
    Birth registered March quarter 1864, Rotherhithe registration district, mother's maiden name Stone.

Walter's mother was Margaret Lucy WATTS, birth registered June quarter 1865, Rotherhithe registration district, mother's maiden name Talbot.

George Ernest ROBINS married Margaret Lucy WATTS, September quarter 1885, Holborn registration district.

George died in 1928 and is buried in Memorial Park Cemetery. Albany, WA.
    Margaret Lucy died in 1954 and is buried with George. Photo of grave on Findagrave.

The other children of George and Margaret who emigrated with them and Walter on the Papanui are
    George birth registered December quarter 1887 Saint Olave Southwark registration district.
    Ernest birth registered December quarter 1889 Saint Olave Southwark registration district.
    Charles birth registered March quarter 1897 Saint Saviour Southwark registration district.
    Richard birth registered December quarter 1899 Watford registration district.

I've added postems to the relevant entries on FreeREG.

ADDED: Have now discovered George and Margaret also had a daughter, Margaret Lucy, birth registered birth registered March quarter 1886 Saint Olave Southwark registration district.
    The 1911 census says that George and Margaret had had seven children and one had died. Can't find a possible death for Margaret junior on FreeBMD.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

TROVE - Australian Newspapers

There's a short tribute to Walter Robins, D.C.M, of the 11th Battalion in the "Northam Advertiser, 29 May 1918"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Possible 7th child?

Birth ROBINS, WILLIAM mmn WATTS
    1893 Dec BURNLEY UNION 08E 174
    Death - ROBINS, WILLIAM age 1
    1894 Dec ST. OLAVE SOUTHWARK 01D 150

Possibly Margaret was married by 1911.

Can you tell I'm bored!!!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by katarzyna View Post
    Possible 7th child?

Birth ROBINS, WILLIAM mmn WATTS
    1893 Dec BURNLEY UNION 08E 174
    Death - ROBINS, WILLIAM age 1
    1894 Dec ST. OLAVE SOUTHWARK 01D 150

Possibly Margaret was married by 1911.

Can you tell I'm bored!!!
    Can you tell that I'm not very good at maths? Five boys plus one girl who I can't find in 1911 equals seven.

Those birth and death registrations may well be a good spot, katarzyna.
    I did check for a possible marriage for Margaret (junior) but the two 'most likely' that I allegedly checked didn't lead anywhere. If you're still bored, you can double-check for a marriage for her.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”