Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Navy Service record

Hi all first post here
    I am trying to find out about my grandfathers brother Percival Wedge who died in 1944.
    I have traced his early service K62657 upto January 1929 when it appears he was transfered to Dryad Caterham which I believe is minesweeping ships but after that I cant find anything else about him none of the other websites seem to have any other information about him.
    If someone could point me where to go next it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks for any help

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    Service records after 1920 are still held by the MoD. You can apply for them at a cost of 30 pounds and you will his death certicate and know his birth date.
    This is the link wher you can download the application forms.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ervice-records

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks for reply
    It would appear I need to have death certificate to obtain war records unless he died in service.
    I’m assuming he died in service because of the year of death and what he was working on.
    I don’t really want to pay for death certificate only to find out he died at sea.
    Is there any other way to find out where he died?

Hi
    Did your Percival Wedge have a middle name.? Who were his parents? When was he born? Having these details will help us find him.
    Ah, born 17 Oct 1905?
    There is a death registration for a Percival Wedge March 1/4 1944 in the Southampton registration district. Is this your Percival?
    I can't find him on the Commonwealth War Graves site. It looks as if purchasing the death certicate is the only way to find out the cause of death.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Assuming they were still alive, do you know where Percy's parents lived at the time of his death, or if he was married, where his wife lived?
    If so, there may be a report of his death in a local newspaper. Newspapers are usually held in local libraries or Record Offices/Archives.
    You could also try the British Newspaper Archive, most of which is also available on Findmypast, though coverage is very far from complete, and even though a newspaper might appear to have a complete run from 1940 -1949, it may well be missing say 1942, 1944, and 1946. So you do need to check carefully.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

This looks like the Southampton death that Christina found:

From the Dover Express 10th March 1944:

On February 24th, suddenly, at Southampton, Percival Wedge, beloved husband of Elsie Wedge.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    Did your Percival Wedge have a middle name.? Who were his parents? When was he born? Having these details will help us find him.
    Ah, born 17 Oct 1905?
    There is a death registration for a Percival Wedge March 1/4 1944 in the Southampton registration district. Is this your Percival?
    I can't find him on the Commonwealth War Graves site. It looks as if purchasing the death certicate is the only way to find out the cause of death.
    Christina
    Yes you have the correct Percival Wedge