Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a spy

I'm not sure - maybe there are records missing because I cannot find my father recorded for WW2 - Geoffrey Jacson Halsall 2332667 He was defiantly there !!

Two thirds of WW1records were destroyed in the fires of WW2. The most complete records that include people who survived the war are probably the medal index cards (to be found on most of the genealogy databases such as Ancestry and FMP). They don’t give much information, but do confirm service numbers and (most) regiments.

As Chris mentioned in message 2, WW2 records have not been released for online publication by the MOD.
    Relatives can buy copies, however. Use the URL that she gave you

Famous for offering help & advice

'Henry de Halsalle' certainly appears to have written books about spies and, what can only be described as, anti-German propaganda. But considering his high-profile, so far I'm having difficulty finding biographical information about him.

The German woman and her master, by Henry de Halsalle and C. Sheridan Jones (Charles Sheridan Jones)

His co author on the above book also seems a very prolific writer but again personal information difficult to find.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

From the biblio.co.nz website (and others)

Henry De Halsalle /Richard D'Oyly Hemingway Is the author of books such as Three Gentlemen From New Caledonia

So he wrote under two pseudonyms. If you search for each name it brings up the same book(s) particularly

Three Gentlemen From New Caledonia

Christina
    William Burroughs

UK and Ireland, Masters and Mates Certificates, 1850-1927
    Richard D'oyly Hemingway
    Birth Date: 1878
    Birth Place: Bewdley
    Issue Date: 27 Oct 1902
    Issue Port: London
    Certificate Number: 036066
    Richard D'oyly Hemingway Age 33/abt 1878 Married 4 years Birth Bewdley, Worcestershire
    The Cedars, 35 Bark Hill,Bewdley Worcestershire

So he is an author in his own right and was co author of the book not a pseudonym.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Henry William Halsall is on the 1939 register, living at Twickenham, with an 1872 date of birth. He's described as 'journalist'. His wife doesn't appear to be with him but there is a married woman (with a different surname) at the same address. If you have a subscription to British Newspapers Halsalle's books get many mentions, mainly reviews as each new book got published.

Is that the electoral register?
    His wife left him in 1923/4 middle of the night with her young son (my dad) I do not believe he was a very nice person at all! I have a few of his books but Ive not read them. I was also told that he wrote play which were performed, both on stage in London and on the wireless

the "1939 register" is this thing :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ation_Act_1939

if you scroll down to 'Access to information' it tells you how you can access it. If you don't want to take out a subscription to the websites mentioned, your local library will probably give you access for free.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    the "1939 register" is this thing :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ation_Act_1939

if you scroll down to 'Access to information' it tells you how you can access it. If you don't want to take out a subscription to the websites mentioned, your local library will probably give you access for free.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...1939-register/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast