I am new to this website and forum and this is my first post so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions.
I joined to research my family military history. I know my grandad was in the Welsh Guards in WW1 and my dad in the RAF in WW2. I can find my grandad but not my dad on the website. I know enough of their details to identify them.
First question - why can't I find my dads war record- I know it pretty well anyway. Is the Forces War website not complete?
Therefore I have decided to concentrate on my grandad for the moment. He was in the Welsh Guards from 1915 until 1917 when he was invalided out. I can just about remember him as he died in 1960 when I was 7. I remember a large photo of him in Army uniform with a peak cap but I don't have access to the photo now.

Second question- I don't why he was in the Welsh Guards because as far as I know he had no connection to Wales having been bred and born in Essex. The only thing I can think of is that he was over 6 foot tall - was that a reason to put someone in the Welsh Guards even though they had no others connections?

I know he stood guard at Buckingham Palace before going to France/ Belgium. This is one thing he would tell my older sister.
The rest of the story is more unclear but there are certain things I believe to true. He was an aquaintance, or possibly a friend, of Sergeant Bye who won the VC. I believe they used to meet for some time after the war as my father said he met Sgt Bye and that must have been in the late twenties. I think my grandad had to go to London - somewhere near Liverpool Street to have special boots made for him due to his injuries. This is possibly when they met.
Third question: Does anyone know where there is a detailed account of the action when Sgt Bye won the VC? I have read the citation etc.
He possibly spent some time on field punishment, tied to a gun carriage wheel. I believe this was for striking a Sergeant.
Fourth question: is that a likely punishment for this?
I know from the website he was wounded in November 1917 but I don't know a lot more except he never worked due to his injuries.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Alan