Default Pioneer Corps service number

Hello,
    I’m planning on sending off to the MOD for my great grandad’s service records from the Pioneer Corps in WWII, however i’m Confused by his service number. I can’t decide whether the 4th character is a letter or number. I don’t know how service numbers work so I don’t know if some regiments included letters or not.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It's a seven - 13075209, but don't stress yourself. If you have his date of birth you can use that instead.
    If he died on or after 1 April 1969 his date of birth should be on his death certificate.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

Typing Pioneer Corps into Findmypast and just picking out names at random, they all seem to have numbers, no letters. Putting in 130*5209 brings up a Charles W Harris but his number is given as 13035209 and it does not look like a 3 on the image you posted. Substituting the asterisk with a 7 (which is what it looks like) brings up nothing at all, neither does the number 1.

Emeltee

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    It's a seven - 13075209, but don't stress yourself. If you have his date of birth you can use that instead.

Pam
    Thank you Pam! I thought it probably was a 7 but wasn’t 100% certain. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    Typing Pioneer Corps into Findmypast and just picking out names at random, they all seem to have numbers, no letters. Putting in 130*5209 brings up a Charles W Harris but his number is given as 13035209 and it does not look like a 3 on the image you posted. Substituting the asterisk with a 7 (which is what it looks like) brings up nothing at all, neither does the number 1.

Emeltee
    Thank you for this Emeltee. I didn’t realise you could replace characters with an asterisk while searching on find my FMP, so thank you. Good to know for future searches.
    I’ve tried searching for his name in Pioneer Corps records but can’t find anything, thinking it may be because his records haven’t been released, I don’t know. But I suppose I’ll find out once I send off for his service records.
    Thank you for your help.