Default Finding out when the service started and fini

Hi

How would you find out when a particular soldier began and ended his service in the Cheshire Regiment 2nd battalion for Palestine..i can see that he got his medal but not much else.

Trying to find out if he was home in time to concieve a baby born March 1948!

Cheers
    Denise

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Denise,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.
    Unless there was a short write-up in a local paper about 'local boy returns home', then the only way to find out would be to send for a copy of his service record. Records for people who served after 1921 are still held by the Ministry of Defence. To obtain a copy you need a copy of the person's death certificate, send thirty quid, and if the person died less than twenty-five years ago unless you have permission from their next of kin then you will receive only limited information. A few more details, with links to the forms you need to send can be found at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...757#post585757

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam

Thank you for your reply. The reason I am asking is that the chap in question maybe my Grandfather, however with my Mum born March 1948 it would mean he would have had to be home by May/June 1947. I cannot find a death certificate for.him and none of the dna links have replied. I guess for now the mystery continues..