Default WW 1 Medal Information

Been trying to search the information I have on a WW 1 medal in my possession. It's the British War Medal. It is inscribed with Dvr. E Flannigan R.A. 250600 . Ideally I'd like to try and find if this soldier has any living relatives or pointed in a direction that could. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reputation beyond repute

I would have another look at the medal if I were you and check whether it might not say Royal Field Artillery and regimental number 250500.

There is a medal roll index card for this soldier. This is the first place people look because it's the nearest thing to a nominal roll of the war.

Having said that, I don't see a surviving service record so it may not be possible to do what you want.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I would have another look at the medal if I were you and check whether it might not say Royal Field Artillery and regimental number 250500.

There is a medal roll index card for this soldier. This is the first place people look because it's the nearest thing to a nominal roll of the war.

Having said that, I don't see a surviving service record so it may not be possible to do what you want.
    Much appreciated!! It could very well be. When I get home from work I'll have another gander and let you know. I saw the one in the medal roll for a Flannigan with the SN of 250600 but it didn't show me because I don't have an account. Just found some old documents from the father in laws uncle who's name is up on the wall at Poiziers. If you say there are no known relatives listed than so be it. I'll hold on to it!
    Thanks for explaining the breakdown of the number. Always just thought that was a service number.
    Last edited by jumper0888; 29-12-2018 at 4:28 PM. Reason: addition

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.
    Below is the information on the UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 for the man Peter found in the Medal Roll Index cards. 60% plus of WW1 records were destroyed in WW11 so without one it is very difficult to research those with common names.
    Edward Flannigan
    Rank - Driver
    Medal Awarded - British War Medal and Victory Medal
    Regiment or Corps - Royal Artillery (Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery)
    Regimental Number - 250500
    Sub Unit - Royal Field Artillery
    Previous Units - R.F.A. 250500 Dvr.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.
    Below is the information on the UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 for the man Peter found in the Medal Roll Index cards. 60% plus of WW1 records were destroyed in WW11 so without one it is very difficult to research those with common names.
    Edward Flannigan
    Rank - Driver
    Medal Awarded - British War Medal and Victory Medal
    Regiment or Corps - Royal Artillery (Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery)
    Regimental Number - 250500
    Sub Unit - Royal Field Artillery
    Previous Units - R.F.A. 250500 Dvr.

Christina
    Much appreciated!! Was hoping that someone somewhere would've been looking for Dvr. Flannigan's medal. On a good note I did find some other records for my father in laws uncle. So that's a positive. Appreciate the help.

It looks like 250500 survived the war as he’s not in the CWGC.org database.

There's no other relative databases where it would indicate siblings or children or anything like that?

Not really. Family names sometimes turn up on medal cards or stones, which is why we looked there, but things really weren’t that organized. Service records were the best possibility, but as you have already found out, 2/3 haven’t survived. It’s a matter of hopefully searching. Since he survived he War, his local paper might have some thinking on his return home, if he was injured badly enough, he might have had a silver war badge, or even a pension so those records are worth checking. Service records sometimes turn up with the pension papers.