hilarykellis

Default Missing in 1861 and pregnant, too?

Hello, I tried posting this elsewhere but got no traction so thought I’d try here. My mother recently found out her dad’s grandfather Anthony Turnbull was illegitimate. He was born in 1862 in Kenton, Northumberland to Mary Jane Turnbull. I got a copy of the birth certificate and found no father recorded, just the mother’s name and address (Kenton). My mother’s dad knew his grandfather well and this was never mentioned so we’re very surprised!

I can’t find Mary Jane anywhere in 1861 - her father Joseph was dead by then and she is not living with her widowed mother Jane, a laundress.

In 1863, MJ marries David Nixon and they have several children and raise Anthony together. Anthony goes by Nixon in the census until he moved out after 1881, whereupon he reverts to Turnbull and marries Margaret Watson in 1889. I’ve ordered his marriage certificate but it appears no father is named based on index transcriptions. Because of the name change-back and decision not to name a dad on his wedding cert I have a hard time believing David Nixon is Anthony’s father. Again, I can’t find Anthony’s baptism either to see if a dad is named. Just registration.

Anthony emigrated to Canada in 1914 and died in 1944. His daughter left his parents’ names blank on his death certificate.

Any advice on whether I can get some clues on the identity of Anthony’s father would be sincerely welcomed as this is one of only two direct line illegitimate children I’ve researched and I am at a loss. I am hoping if I can get some clues I can try to use DNA to get some “proof.” Would there be court records, church records, anything when a woman in the parish fell pregnant out of wedlock in this era? And where is MJ in 1861? Maybe sent to a home?

Thank you!!

I can’t find Mary Jane anywhere in 1861 - her father Joseph was dead by then and she is not living with her widowed mother Jane, a laundress. And where is MJ in 1861? Maybe sent to a home?
    Someone in my tree in 1851 was sent several counties away to work in a big house with numerous staff. She became pregnant to one of the male staff there. Fortunately they married the following year, after their child was born, and rose up in the world thereafter.

I think it is always worth bearing in mind that servants could be quite mobile, more than you might imagine. And young girls in service were very vulnerable and not always kindly treated by their colleagues or masters.

This is the previous thread on this subject which I will now lock as having two threads on the same subject can get confusing.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...father-in-1862
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

You might just have to accept that you will never know, unless you do the DNA test and hope that someone connected to those ancestors gets in touch with you. Having done the test myself I can say that it is quite exciting to receive messages saying you have a connection because this gives you a direction to follow
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

hilarykellis

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    You might just have to accept that you will never know, unless you do the DNA test and hope that someone connected to those ancestors gets in touch with you. Having done the test myself I can say that it is quite exciting to receive messages saying you have a connection because this gives you a direction to follow
    I have done a DNA test as has my mother, but it's highly unlikely someone will contact me as the descendants of the father's other children, if they exist, have even less of a chance of knowing about Anthony Turnbull than my own family does. But I am hoping if I can get a hint (e.g. father alleged in a record, child support payment made to parish, etc.) then I can use DNA to see if that person appears in any of the trees of my DNA matches.

hilarykellis

Quote Originally Posted by daleaway View Post
    Someone in my tree in 1851 was sent several counties away to work in a big house with numerous staff. She became pregnant to one of the male staff there. Fortunately they married the following year, after their child was born, and rose up in the world thereafter.

I think it is always worth bearing in mind that servants could be quite mobile, more than you might imagine. And young girls in service were very vulnerable and not always kindly treated by their colleagues or masters.
    Thank you, I have definitely considered that she may have been a servant somewhere, but she doesn't appear in ANY county under her own name, Mary Jane Turnbull, unless somehow either her name, age, or birthplace were mistranscribed. I am wondering if she was using an alias at this point as I can't understand where she went!

Starting to feel at home

Kenton is in Castle Ward Registration District.
    1861 CENSUS Piece 3855 Castle Ward missing parishes - parts of Newburn - Black Callerton, Butterlaw, East & West Whorlton, Newbiggin, East & West Denton, Newburn Hall and Sugley.
    If she was a servant working in any of those parts of the Castle Ward area she probably won't be found I'm afraid.

hilarykellis

Quote Originally Posted by katarzyna View Post
    Kenton is in Castle Ward Registration District.
    1861 CENSUS Piece 3855 Castle Ward missing parishes - parts of Newburn - Black Callerton, Butterlaw, East & West Whorlton, Newbiggin, East & West Denton, Newburn Hall and Sugley.
    If she was a servant working in any of those parts of the Castle Ward area she probably won't be found I'm afraid.
    Thank you! That seems like the best explanation for why I can’t find her. Disappointing, though..