Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A fountain of knowledge

During my marathon ordering session I discovered that Ancestry do not provide ALL the information necessary to order post 1993 Death certs. However FMP do include the Entry No. that Ancestry omit in their transcription AND they provide a link to GRO alongside.
    I'm beginning to like FMP more and more.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    During my marathon ordering session I discovered that Ancestry do not provide ALL the information necessary to order post 1993 Death certs. However FMP do include the Entry No. that Ancestry omit in their transcription AND they provide a link to GRO alongside.
    I'm beginning to like FMP more and more.
    FMP get a lot of brownie points from me. Especially as regards the link to the GRO site if people want to order certificates.
    Not sure if it applies to all annual subs, but I have a world-wide one and (to date) I've received a 10% discount on my renewals. Plus if they offer free access to everyone, your annual sub is automatically extended by the same number of days.

I didn't order as many certificates as I thought I might have (didn't get round to checking everything I wanted to) but I spent twenty quid on a long-overdue week's access to Essex parish registers. Already found two marriages (thereby saving myself £18.50) plus baptisms for three children I didn't know about (not with the family in 1841), so I think that was money well-spent.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Default Marathon Session Update

WOW. I can hardly believe this.
    The GRO really have got their act together, the last two certs. I ordered on 15th have been listed as despatched this morning. I have already received half the certs I ordered and expect majority of the rest tomorrow.

So to GRO Southport.

I was expecting delays but maybe everybody got their orders in early.

My paltry few certificates (10 in total) were ordered at the last minute (about 7.30pm on 15 February) in two lots, five minutes apart, with the order numbers implying ten orders placed in those five minutes. Dispatch dates were estimated as 22 February. The PDFs were 'delivered' yesterday, and the marriage certificate is probably being delivered by the postman today or tomorrow as it was posted out on the 20th.

So, yes, indeed to the GRO.

However, the bad news is that earlier in the week I found a note about a marriage certificate I should have ordered before the price increase, and having spent a very successful week with the on-line parish registers of Essex Record Office I have now found two unknown children (born and died between the censuses) plus names and dates for more direct ancestors so there's some more birth and death certificates to add to the next list. The good news is that I found four marriage certificates in the Essex PRs which means that even after paying twenty quid to access them I am (theoretically ) still twenty-four quid in profit.

Now, of course, I've got to get all the notes written up. That will keep me out of mischief for the next week.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    My paltry few certificates (10 in total) were ordered at the last minute (about 7.30pm on 15 February) . . .

Now, of course, I've got to get all the notes written up. That will keep me out of mischief for the next week.

Pam
    That's not last minute! My last order went in at 2322hrs. and it was despatched yesterday unlike two birth certs ordered 10 min earlier, they were despatched this morning.

Then, like you I found another marriage cert to order, just after midnight. I didn't.

The notes will probably keep me busy for a fortnight as I've got to schedule in a trip to Herefordshire Archives to download some parish registers and search others. Damn family why couldn't they have all lived in Shropshire whose records are on line?

That's not last minute! My last order went in at 2322hrs.
    Then, like you I found another marriage cert to order, just after midnight. I didn't.
    ;
    The notes will probably keep me busy for a fortnight as I've got to schedule in a trip to Herefordshire Archives to download some parish registers and search others. Damn family why couldn't they have all lived in Shropshire whose records are on line?
    I so know the feeling. I'm lucky with Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Essex, a lot of London and at least some of Northamptonshire, being on-line, but I wish Suffolk was too. Make searching for uncle-by-marriage's family easier (and cheaper!) to trace. Though Peter Calver of Lost Cousins says that Suffolk Record Office/Archive might decide to go down the same route as Essex and do their own online thing rather than out-source to FMP or Ancestry. Either way, just get a move on! The transcriptions of Suffolk FHS (on FMP), though very good and certainly better than nothing, aren't really enough.

However, never lose sight of the fact that we are totally spoilt nowadays. Back in 2000 when I first began this journey, there was a fledging FreeBMD, the 1881 census, and the IGI online, and that was about your lot. To find most BMD registrations it was off to the Family Record Centre in Myddelton Street, hauling massive ledgers off the shelves and fighting for table room and for parish registers off to the individual county archives. I find my subs to FMP and Ancestry to be very cost-effective. As well as very convenient when it's bad weather.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    . . .
    However, never lose sight of the fact that we are totally spoilt nowadays. Back in 2000 when I first began this journey, there was a fledging FreeBMD, the 1881 census, and the IGI online, and that was about your lot. . .
    . . . I find my subs to FMP and Ancestry to be very cost-effective. As well as very convenient when it's bad weather.

Pam
    I didn't start until after my mother died late 2008, so have relied mostly on the net. Although I have visited all four counties archives plus two in Scotland.
    My father's family were mainly around Wigan which is extremely well covered by online records, unfortunately his paternal side comes to a crashing halt in Scotland in 1840.
    See Families of ARTHUR WILSON and ANN WEIR sought.

My mother's side frequented three counties, Shropshire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire, the latter two having almost no records on-line, I believe there may be some BTs for Worcestershire but that's about it.

A fountain of knowledge

WOW. I can hardly believe this.
    The GRO really have got their act together, the last two certs. I ordered on 15th have been listed as despatched this morning. I have already received half the certs I ordered and expect majority of the rest tomorrow.

So to GRO Southport.

I was expecting delays but maybe everybody got their orders in early.
    They deserve even more .
    Just received last two certs and started to enter details into tree only to discover I had supplied the wrong page no. for one of them BUT they had supplied the correct cert.

Have sent thank you via their contact page. (bit of a rigmarole but I did it)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12