Famous for offering help & advice

Default George Stanley MARSHALL or SMITH? Bedford1893

George Stanley MARSHALL enlisted with the Royal Engineers in September 1914, was released in 1916 to work as a Fitter for W H Allen & Co, and was discharged in December 1918.

In 1914 he gave his age as 21y 7m, father George, home address: "The Manse", Cotton End, Bedford.

I cannot find a suitable birth - but a George Stanley SMITH is registered Q2 1893 Bedford.

Would some kind person who knows how to do it (unlike me!) find who was at "The Manse" in 1914-1918?

Source: Anc****y, WW1 Service Records, MAR, pages 19484-19507

Have you seen that Marshall's records are on Anc? Numers 1305, 253008.He was wounded quite badly in Mar '15, shrapnel to arm & chest, which might be why they let him go to Allen's. Everything gives his address as the Manse, Cotton End and NOK as George, father.

Don't seem to be there in 1911 census... Waiting for delivery so will carry on looking.

I've been reading the papers.
    In 1911 Rev WH Smith died at the Manse, Cotton End. He was 82 and had been there 20 years. By the 1911 census. his widow, Susannah was widowed, at the Manse with a servant.
    In 1915 Rev Geo Marshall was at the Manse. He was still there in 1919. He had 5 sons serving.

There is an article in 1931 about the death of Rev George Marshall, Minister of Cotton End Baptist Church, born St Albans 9 Nov 1862.

He ministered in Ireland and married Priscilla Pyke Marshall & they had 6 sons. Came to Bedfordshire in 1911.

You will find the family the 1901 Irish census in Moneyshinare (Tobermore, Londonderry) including George Stanley, born Co Down c1893

ADDED: I think George is possibly still in Ireland in 1911 as Stanley George Marshall aged 18. His brother Joseph Charles Marshall also aged 18 is with him.
    Last edited by Jomot1; 22-12-2018 at 1:28 PM. Reason: added info

Irish Genealogy https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Under civil births there's a birth registration (image available) for a George Marshall, born 1893- on the same page twin brother Joseph.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks to ALL for that information.
    So George Stanley really is a MARSHALL. (Sometimes I assume too quickly that there's a false name, forgetting that births in Scotland & Ireland don't appear on freebmd!)
    Thank you again.

Jane