Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Florence May Howdon/Hughes - at a stand still

I’m trying to trace my family line on my grandmothers side as it’s a mystery to our family.

I obtained the birth certificate for my grandmother

Frances Hilda Henderson
    Born 16 November 1930 Newcastle
    Died 4 May 1991 morpeth Northumberland

Father: Christopher Henderson 1901-1946
    Mother: Florence May Henderson formerly Hughes 1906-1935

I have found my grandmothers siblings

Susannah Henderson 1924-1986
    William F Henderson 1926 - ??
    Emily Henderson 1928-??
    Helen Henderson 1928-1928

There is a marriage for Florence May Howdon to Christopher Henderson 1923 in castle ward Northumberland

They all state mothers maiden name Howden so again ive hit another brick wall.

Any suggestions on parents?

Thanks x

Is it possible that Florence had a (brief) marriage to a Mr Hughes?

Is it possible that Florence had a (brief) marriage to a Mr Hughes? Does her marriage cert to Christopher H show her as a spinster or widow?
    Or Mr Howdon?

I can't find a Florence Howdon of appropriate age in the 1911 census, but there are 4 Florence May Hughes..
    You need that marriage certificate.

I’m wondering more if it was a marriage to a mr Howdon, as whilst searching this morning Ive come across a possibility of a Henry Hughes and a Florence May Richmond that could be her parents ?? but no concrete evidence yet??

Both born 1883 Henry in Manchester and Florence in Lincolnshire...

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Brutal truth is that it's useless speculating on anything until you've got Christopher and Florence's marriage certificate.

Not sure how you've got Susannah born 1924 as one of Frances' siblings. The only Susannah Hendersons I can find with a birth registration in 1924 or 1925 have mother's maiden names of Kennedy and Miller respectively.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

What is the exact birth date for Frances and the address and occupation of Frances's father Christopher on her 1930 birth certificate?
    Also what is Frances's address on her marriage certificate in 1952. Does it give a father's occupation or just deceased?

I'm going from a different angle here as not everything adds up.
    ie
    FreeBMD Deaths Jun 1935
    Henderson Florence M age 36 Newcastle T. 10b 59
    Therefore b c 1899 not 1906 (Where did you get this date from?)

HUGHES, FLORENCE MAY mmn WAUGH
    GRO Reference: 1899 M Quarter in DURHAM Volume 10A Page 385

but there is also:
    Births Dec 1900
    HOWDON Florence May Hexham 10b 362

After Florence died in 1935 it looks like the children were split up.
    1939 register
    Frances Hilda Henderson born 16 Oct 1930 Female At School (later marriages/name changes to Swindle, Charlton & Park)
    William Henderson 17 Feb 1926 Male At School
    They are both with the Fisher family at Upper Market Street, Brough, North Westmorland.

1939 Register
    Christopher Henderson born 12 Dec 1901 Male, Window Cleaner Widowed
    living with Postlethwaite family at 57 Elswick Row , Newcastle-upon-Tyne

btw there was this birth after Frances - possibly?
    Births Jun 1932
    Henderson John L mmn Hughes Durham 10a 632
    Last edited by katarzyna; 21-12-2018 at 4:06 PM. Reason: additional info

Frances Hilda Henderson
    Born 16 November 1930 Newcastle
    Died 4 May 1991 morpeth Northumberland

Father: Christopher Henderson 1901-1946
    Mother: Florence May Henderson formerly Hughes 1906-1935
    Is the column on the birth certificate written exactly as you state? Does it say Florence May Henderson FORMERLY Hughes? If so I find that odd as as a rule I'd expect either: mother's bith name only, or two surnames for example Mary Smith FORMERLY Brown, but never FORMERLY when only one surname is listed. However you say it says Florence May Henderson FORMERLY Hughes, which indicates she was born Henderson and previously married to a Mr Hughes. It could be she, or whoever registered the birth, didn't fully understand the question.

As Pam has said, the marriage certificate is a must to help unravel the puzzle. You will then, at least have Florence's father's name and occupation, assuming she knew who her father was.
    Alma

but there is also:
    Births Dec 1900
    HOWDON Florence May Hexham 10b 362
    That birth registration on GRO site has - HOWDON, FLORANCE MAY, mother's maiden name COWINGS
    GRO Reference: 1900 D Quarter in HEXHAM Volume 10B Page 362
    *note the spelling of both first and last names.

This is a possible marriage pairing for the above Florence's parents.
    Marriages Jun 1894
    Cowings Frances Hexham 10b 489
    Howdon George Hexham 10b 489

Scrap all that as that Florence appears to have died in 1903

Florence May Howdon
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
    Death registration 1903, Oct-Nov-Dec
    Age at Death: 3
    Registration district: Hexham
    Alma

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Is the column on the birth certificate written exactly as you state? Does it say Florence May Henderson FORMERLY Hughes? If so I find that odd as as a rule I'd expect either: mother's bith name only, or two surnames for example Mary Smith FORMERLY Brown, but never FORMERLY when only one surname is listed. However you say it says Florence May Henderson FORMERLY Hughes, which indicates she was born Henderson and previously married to a Mr Hughes. It could be she, or whoever registered the birth, didn't fully understand the question.
    At the time of the birth registration Florence was married to Christopher HENDERSON so her name was Florence May HENDERSON and her maiden surname is given as HUGHES, so 'Florence May HENDERSON formerly HUGHES' is the correct format.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    At the time of the birth registration Florence was married to Christopher HENDERSON so her name was Florence May HENDERSON and her maiden surname is given as HUGHES, so 'Florence May HENDERSON formerly HUGHES' is the correct format.
    Yes, you're right Dundee. My head is all over the place at the moment. I really should keep away for the time being as I'm a liability lol. Thank you for correcting my mistake.
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast