Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

There is a burial in Rumburgh 16 October 1832 for a Henry Brunning aged 29. This gives a yob of 1803 so 17 when Francis was born.

Ref Halesworth Independent and the Brunning births - I'm only quoting what I found on familysearch. Sounds like fs have got it wrong again.

Emeltee

Famous for offering help & advice

The Elizabeth Brunning from the 1851 census is still a nurse in Halesworth in 1861.
    Also Martha Brunning seems to have married Sidney as Martha Hall.

Yes, thank you. I have this and you are correct that it is the family. I hadn't, however, 'twigged' that Elizabeth Brunning was still alive in 1851 and beyond so back to the drawing board on that one!

Yes, Martha Brunning married Robert Hall and he died so when she married Sidney Johnson she was a young widow.

Starting to feel at home

I have a more modern marriage .A Derek R married a widow with maiden name Merry, but her previous married name was Oakes:
    It is registered thus:

I was told that this also applies with a marriage to a divorcee but mine was definitely a widow.
    Last edited by katarzyna; 21-12-2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: additional info

I think I may have Elizabeth. Freereg have a baptism in 1794 at South Elham St Michael of Elizabeth Taylor. Father Samuel Taylor, mother Martha Balls. Private baptism.
    Elizabeth Brunning gives her pob as St Michael.

Freereg also have a marriage of a Martha Balls to William Chambers in 1812 in South Elmham All Saints. May or may not be the same Martha.

FreeReg has several baptismal/burial entries for children of Samuel Taylor and Lydia. One of the baptisms gives Lydia's surname as Balls. Unfortunately it does not specify whether or not this was her maiden name. Lydia dies in 1787, in childbirth by the look of it as a daughter Liddy was baptised the same day.

Is it possible that after the death of presumed wife Lydia, Samuel took up with her sister Martha? I cannot find any Samuel Taylor marriages to either a Lydia or a Martha so far.

Emeltee

Samuel Taylor married Lydia Balls in Wissett in 1771.
    There is a baptism for a Lydia Balls 1748 in Wissett, parents John and Mary, but no sign of anything for Martha.

Emeltee

I like the idea of Samuel Taylor married to Martha Balls.

An Ancestry tree belonging to someone else had Elizabeth Taylor born 19.3.1794 and baptised 9.4.1794 in South Elmham and daughter of Samuel Taylor (1747 - 1832) and Martha Willis (1771 - ). I wonder whether old writing could confuse Balls and Willis?

Suffolk FHS has the marriage between Samuel Taylor, widower, and Martha Wills in Halesworth 23 October 1797. You would need to see the original entry to make up your mind what Martha's surname was.

Emeltee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast