Default Great Grandad WW1 POW

Hi everyone,

I have just had my great granddads medals restored and put in a display box. It has spurred me to try to find out about his service history. I am especially interested in information about his time as a POW. However, I cant find anything more than the below. I know a lot of records were destroyed, but am hoping I can find out a little more about his service history. I have found his medal roll, and some information about his pension. But thats about it. His name is Paul Albert Dixon, Service number is 11972. He served in the Cheshire Regiment, Second Battalion. I have signed up to Ancestry.com and have spent months searching to no avail.
    Can anyone help?

First Name:
    P
    Surname:
    Dixon
    Incident Date:
    02/10/1915
    Information:
    Listed as "Previously reported missing, now reported prisoner of war" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office.
    Private
    Service Number:

First,a very warm welcome to Brit-gen

FindMyPast has a single line record for -

Kriegsgafengenelager Munster II
    Dixon Paul, Pte, 2 Cheshire, capt(ured) at - Ypres, Lager - Munster II, residence Staly.

You could check here https://grandeguerre.icrc.org
    I've had a quick check- unsuccessful - but not checked alternative spellings (eg. Dickson)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    From what you say, I don't think that you have seem the WW1 POW site of the Red Cross. It can be a bit "interesting" to search, but I have found your guy. In case the url HERE does not work, I'll add the instructions.

Assuming that url at least takes you to the search page, I entered (left to right in the boxes) Dixon, Pail; British & Commonwealth; Military. This gets you to the main file for the British Army & Commonwealth. Hit the red "validate". This gets you a drop down menu on the left. If you follow it to "Dixon"you get a message saying "see Dickson".
    Run the black menu up to "Dickson, Cheshire Regt" and click on it. Follow the black-outlines white cards in the middle down and you will come to his card with the correct number.
    Make a note of the 2 numbers beginning PA and the other one Beginning P Fl.. Put your mouse over the white card and you get offered the chance to save, print, etc. Also a red bar offering additional info. Click on the red bar. Feed the box one of the PA numbers. 2114 takes you to a page with a table of info about a number of men. You'll need a german dictionary for the olumn headings. 8111 takes you to a load of pages with a number top right. Keep scrolling down until you find 8111. He's the second one down. P16058 takes you to another page with similar but more legible info. Try the url HERE

Wow - appreciate the help! This is my first time doing any type of research like this. So although I had been on the Red Cross site multiple times I was not able to get the results you did. I really appreciate the help from you both. Our family never knew he was a prisoner as he apparently never spoke about his experiences during the war. This is all very eye opening for me. I am now reading about the events on the date he was captured, and about the POW camp. Thank you so much for your help.

The thing you have to watch with the Red Cross site is the way that they merge assorted spellings - Dixon and Dickson, for example. They do leave a card saying Name1 see Name2, but it's not always easy to read!