Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Growing old Disgracefully

I have also found a Baptisim for a Mary Martin at Hook Norton.

Mary daughter of Joseph and Susannah Martin Born 1810 and Elizabeth daughter of same Joseph and Susannah Martin born 1812 of Hook Norton Occupation Labouer. Baptised together on March 8 1818 at Hook Norton.

This could be her mother.

Wow I was just looking at Ancestry and its connected me to someone else who has a tree with Thomas Wells and Hannah Martin Family they have a photo of her etc, etc. but mistake as they have Mary Martin and James Martin as parents but only that Mary was born 1810 and died 1881

Been looking somemore I think it could be a possiblity that John Garrett is Hannah's real father.

Loves to help with queries

Christina; I'm starting to think that the evidence is pointing to the illegitimate birth theory. Her inconsistent use of surnames is a real problem. We've looked at births, deaths and the census. I'm not really sure what type of other record would establish her identity better than these. She was pretty young to have left much of a paper trail.

Thanks for the suggestions on sites, Christina. I can see I'm going to have to get a subscription at some point. Not sure which site to consider. They're all so expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Been looking somemore I think it could be a possibility that John Garrett is Hannah's real father.
    Just a thought. I think Hannah, if she is part of the Garrett family, would be the eldest child. Could Hannah (Martin/Garrett) have been an 8 month baby and then her parents married? If there's a marriage certificate for her mother and father, and it's reasonably close to her Hannah's birthdate, it could explain a few things.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by History_Hunter View Post
    Christina; I'm starting to think that the evidence is pointing to the illegitimate birth theory. Her inconsistent use of surnames is a real problem. We've looked at births, deaths and the census. I'm not really sure what type of other record would establish her identity better than these. She was pretty young to have left much of a paper trail.

Thanks for the suggestions on sites, Christina. I can see I'm going to have to get a subscription at some point. Not sure which site to consider. They're all so expensive.
    If you haven't done so before, then you should be able to take out a free 14-day trial on both Ancestry and FMP. Remember to untick the 'automatic renewal' box. And I would suggest you try one and then the other, rather than both st the same time, unless you want to do a direct comparison of stuff such as census image pages. (Quality does vary.)
    If you have an LDS FHC local to you, then one or both sites will be available there, though you do have the hassle of getting there and perhaps having limited time on a computer.
    One or both sites may be available at the public library, but again you have to get there and may have limited time on the computer.
    Both sites have a Pay-as-you-go option. Records are more expensive to view, but you can search for free, and sometimes it's amazing how much information you can get for free.
    FMP has a 3-monthly option, but you will need at least the Plus sub, though you might as well splash out another three quid a month and get the Pro, which gives you everything including newspapers.
    I'll leave you to check out Ancestry's monthly/six-monthly subs because you probably use dot com and I'm co dot uk.

One last thought, and one which which the more recent searchers forget - a year's sub to both FMP and Ancestry is usually several hundreds of pounds (and possibly thousands if you live in Canada ) cheaper than having to travel to London and/or individual county archives as we had to do in ye olde days (2000 to about 2012 in my case. ) Add in the hours of travelling that you save, and you really are quids in.

Forgot to say:
    Remember the main 'frees' - FreeBMD. FreeCEN, FreeREG, and FamilySearch, though in the case of the first three you get transcriptions only.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Just a thought. I think Hannah, if she is part of the Garrett family, would be the eldest child. Could Hannah (Martin/Garrett) have been an 8 month baby and then her parents married? If there's a marriage certificate for her mother and father, and it's reasonably close to her Hannah's birthdate, it could explain a few things.
    Baptism - Hannah Martin
    17 Feb 1833 • Hook Norton, Oxfordshire, England

Marriage Mary Martin
    27 Oct 1834 • Hook Norton, Oxfordshire, England
    John Garrett

Hannah would have been 20 Months old when John and Mary married.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Baptism - Hannah Martin
    17 Feb 1833 • Hook Norton, Oxfordshire, England

Marriage Mary Martin
    27 Oct 1834 • Hook Norton, Oxfordshire, England
    John Garrett

Hannah would have been 20 Months old when John and Mary married.
    Thank you, Sandy.
    I would have replied earlier, but was "dragged away" to get some Christmas shopping done. :>)

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Gary - have you seen the half-price offer on FMP?
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...660#post667660

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 23-12-2018 at 2:53 AM. Reason: Amended URL
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123