Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    In 1841 Ruth's parents have a son John age 2 days with them. Hook Norton is in the Banbury registration district and John's birth is there with the mother's maiden name Martin on the GRO index.
    They also have a Hannah garrett age 60 with them. John's mother?
    There is no birth 1839+/- 2 years in the Banbury reg district for a Hannah Martin. The only birth reg for a Hannah Garrett is in Sept 1/4 1840 and has the mother's maiden name Robins.
    Christina
    Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Could Hannah have invented her father's name when she married, many people did, as presumably they were embarrassed to admit to illegitimacy.

There's this baptism, right age and place of birth.

Hook Norton, Feb 17th 1833, Hannah Martin dau of Mary a spinster.
    As Ruth's mother is Mary, and Ruth's brother John, has mother's maiden name Martin, it is looking likely that Hannah's mother is also Ruth's mother.

What do you think, Christina?
    Alma

Loves to help with queries

I have a census record printout for Hannah M Martin, unmarried, 19, a servant (nursemaid), born Oxfordshire, Hook Norton, HO107/1574, folio 176 (Just could be 178. Print is poor.), page 8. It is Lambeth parish.

This is the record that I believe I mentioned. It could explain her absence from the family census report preceding her 1857 marriage. If this is her, she was already using the surname Martin.

I tend to believe the idea that her birth was illegitimate. Not sure where her made-up father’s name came from.

Sorry for any typos. I am using an iPad to dash off a note after supper. They aren’t the best for this sort of thing, but I felt I owed a quick response to all of you who have been so quick to help me with this.

Growing old Disgracefully

When Hannah Martin married in 1857 she named her father as James Martin, a farmer.
    Also Thomas Wells and his father James Wells where "Tailors"

There's this baptism, right age and place of birth.

Hook Norton, Feb 17th 1833, Hannah Martin dau of Mary a spinster.
    "almach", what source did you use to find the noted record? I'd like to consult the source to record it for my records.

As Ruth's mother is Mary, and Ruth's brother John, has mother's maiden name Martin, it is looking likely that Hannah's mother is also Ruth's mother.

What do you think, Christina?
    Yes I am thinking that Hannah is the illegitimate dau of Mary Martin then her mother married John Garrett and Hannah appeared under his surname in the 1841 census. Then for some reason she took on her mother's maiden name of Martin between 1841 and 1851 and appears in the 1851 census as Hannah Martin servant of Hooks Norton.
    Maybe she and her stepfather didn't get on or maybe she was told sometime between 1841 -1851 that he wasn't her birth father so she changed her name.
    Why she gave her father's name as John Martin on the marriage could be as said earlier - to save face.

BUT the Hannah Garrett on the 1841 census is only 2 years old so born c1838/9 whereas the baptism we found gives her baptism as Feb 1833. So in 1841 she should be 7 or 8 which would match with the 1861 census age of 27
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by History_Hunter View Post
    "almach", what source did you use to find the noted record? I'd like to consult the source to record it for my records.
    Oxfordshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915 for Hannah Martin
    Hook Norton 1813 - 1854

Name - Hannah Martin
    Baptism Date 17 Feb 1833
    Baptism Place, Hook Norton, Oxfordshire, England
    Parish as it Appears - Hook NortonSearch Hook Norton, Oxfordshire, England
    Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map 8465
    Mother Mary Martin

Thanks, Christina. I need to get down to the library so I can access Ancestry and walk my way through the various items mentioned. There may be free resources on the web for this area of England, but I’m not yet that familiar with what is out there.

Thank you “Sandyhall” for the reference data. I want to get to the library, so I can get all the relevant source details to record it.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Yes I am thinking that Hannah is the illegitimate dau of Mary Martin then her mother married John Garrett and Hannah appeared under his surname in the 1841 census. Then for some reason she took on her mother's maiden name of Martin between 1841 and 1851 and appears in the 1851 census as Hannah Martin servant of Hooks Norton.
    Maybe she and her stepfather didn't get on or maybe she was told sometime between 1841 -1851 that he wasn't her birth father so she changed her name.
    Why she gave her father's name as John Martin on the marriage could be as said earlier - to save face.

BUT the Hannah Garrett on the 1841 census is only 2 years old so born c1838/9 whereas the baptism we found gives her baptism as Feb 1833. So in 1841 she should be 7 or 8 which would match with the 1861 census age of 27
    Christina
    I am going to crawl in a corner and weep. This can't be the Hannah Garrett in the 1841 census because she is O years of age at her death in Dec 1/4 1851 Banbury registration district. There are plenty of deaths for Hannah Garretts but not in the right reg dist.

Take a look at Cyndi's List which has hundreds of links to both free and pay per view sites for many counties. On the home page click on 'Categories" on the left to choose your country.
    Some free ones off the top of my head
    Genuki
    FreeBMD
    FreeReg
    FreeCen
    familysearch.org

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I use Ancesrty as I have a sub but also use Family Search.

The 1851 Census with Hannah M Martin I found on Family Search and the Baptisim I found on Ancestry with all the other Census records and marriage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast