Default William George Carruthers

My mother's first husband William George Carruthers was born in Toronto Canada on 29/12/1913. He died of Pulmanory Laryngal Tuberculosis on 22/9/143 at Annan Dumfriesshire Scotland. I have a photograph of him taken in 1940 in military uniform but can find no details of his military service. Can anyone recognise what regiment he was in from the attached picture. I can find no record of him on searching this site. He came to Uk in 1920 to visit his grandparents and I have a record of him coming again to UK on 14/11/1932 age 19 occupation watchmaker. He was married on 22/10/1938 at Annan occupation craneman public works.

Default Gorden Highlanders

First name(s) William George
    Last name Carruthers
    Age -
    Birth year -
    Birth place -
    Attestation year 1941
    Service number 1798939

It then says
    Gordon Highs.
    12/8/44
    5688.C

Could it be the Gordon Highlanders

Peanut

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    I think you came to us from Forces War Records so reading this will explain the connection.

This may be another record of him leaving Scotland in 1929

William Carruthers
    Age 16
    Birth year 1913
    Occupation - Scholar
    Departed 9 November 1929
    Departure port Greenock
    Destination port Quebec, Canada
    Address in Scotland- Moa Cottage Stapleton Rd, Annan

If he served in the British forces his service record is still held by the MoD. You can order them at a cost of 30 pounds and you will need a copy of his death certificate. You know his birth date so that is no problem. You do not need to know his service number. This 'sticky" explains and gives the link where you can download the forms.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks for the replies. I had noticed somewhere a record of William returning to Canada 19 1929 age 16 and will look that up on Ancestry when I am next at the library. It seems he came to UK with his mother age 6 in 1920 and stayed with his grandparents at Moor Cottage, Gallanery, ANNAN. I have a record of his mum returning but he is not listed. His father Christopher George Carruthers had been killed in action at Vimy Ridge in 1917 so I am presuming that his mother thought the boy would be better looked after by his grandparents as she would have had to be out working to survive. With regard to the military record I could not find this on the forces war record site. I have just looked at Find my Past and they have a William Carruthers 2694195 in Scots Guards Enlistment Register. The record of the Gordon Highlanders given by Christanel and Peanut does have his full correct name but that regiment is based in the opposite end of Scotland to Annan where he would have been living. if 12/8/44 is a date then that would be too late as he died on 22/9/43 or would that be the date the document was recorded? I do appreciate all your help so far with this. Best wishes Benny

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    First name(s) William George
    Last name Carruthers
    Age -
    Birth year -
    Birth place -
    Attestation year 1941
    Service number 1798939

It then says
    Gordon Highs.
    12/8/44
    5688.C

Could it be the Gordon Highlanders

Peanut
    Given the date of death of your man this is not his record as he has another one where he was wounded in March 1945.
    If you can afford it you should buy his service record using the link I gave in my previous post.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs