Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Returning families from Wynberg, Cape 1914

In October 1914 the second battalion of the East Lancs Regiment embarked for transport to the UK on route to the Western Front.

The troops had served as the garrison of Wynberg fort, Cape Town and enjoying a settled existence, some if not many had married and had babies.

What happened to their families? Were they moved on the same troop ship, left behind to fend for themselves, did the government arrange alternative transport or did what?

In the case of my grandmother, she had a young baby and was possibly pregnant and I worry for her.

I don't think it was as simple as all families went home at the same time as their husbands.
    If you would like to give us some names and dates of marriage and birth(s) we could take a look to see if there are any shipping records for your grandmother and child(ren).
    Unfortunately the Abroad for Home catalogue at The National Archives can't be accessed online.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

My father (Arthur Stanley Orme) was possibly born in 1915, possibly in Wynberg, possibly in the uk or possibly in between. I'm having trouble finding any record of his birth.
    Did he die in Derbyshire in 1982? The death registration for Stanley Arthur ORME Dec qtr 1982 Derby Vol. 6 p. 0847 gives his date of birth as 19 June 1914.

Gosh, I'm sorry Myles! I seem to have deleted your post while editing mine to you! My post to you now reads as if you wrote it! (Perils of being an incompetent moderator)
    Perhaps you could repost the details you gave?

Hangs head in shame...
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Default Those slippery details

Those slippery details :-)

Possible/probable Granny was called Christina Elizabeth Grieve, known as Lizzie at this time, and who knows perhaps later. She was born in Edinburgh on the 5th April 1887 and probably travelled to the Cape on the 11th November 1910.

She married Arthur Cecil Orme (born 11/04/1887 Birkenhead, died 1940 in Liverpool) on the 26th August 1912 in Wynberg, Cape town - he was a lance corporal in the 2nd Battalion of the East Lancs at the time whilst she worked in an envelope factory.

In 1914, still in Wynberg, they had a daughter, Violet Stuart Orme (at least she is listed as Violet S in army records and elsewhere the S is given as Stuart.)

My father, Arthur Stanley Orme gave his birthdate as 28 October 1915 - which when you think about the logistics is improbable unless he was born to a Belgium or French mother other and returned to England to be brought up by his father's wife. He also said that he was born in South Africa - but there are no army returns of his birth. There is a possibility that he adopted the October date later in life and that he was born earlier in 1915 (before June) after the garrison was handed over to the local volunteers.

He died in Lymington, Hampshire in 1978 - his death certificate erroneously gives his place of birth as Wynberg, Cheshire.

I have details of where Lizzie lived (with my grandfather) from 1920ish through to migration to Canada (on the 28th October 1938) with her two younger daughters, Violet having emigrated in 1930, various addresses including where she visited in Edinburgh in 1950, and quite a few travel records - but the war years (both of them) are a blank.

How did she return to the UK? Did she have one or two children with her? Where did she land and where did she live during the 1914-18 war?

We learn much about the movements of soldiers, and whilst I do not wish to minimise this I do wonder about their families.

On the 1939 register there is an Arthur S Orme with wife Nila. He gives his birthdate as 28 October 1912 and hers is 1909. They are living in Manchester. I can't see a birth for him on FreeBMD. Can we rule this one out?
    Christina
    William Burroughs

... No indeed we can't - that is he (my mother is his second wife) - I hadn't noticed that his birthdate is given as 1912 - The general registrars only search one year either side of a given year, Is that not so? I may have another go at ordering a certificate.

On his wedding certificate from April 1933 he is given as 21 and on the certificate from July 1957 he is 41 - and the man was an accountant

Quote Originally Posted by MylesOrme View Post
    On his wedding certificate from April 1933 he is given as 21 and on the certificate from July 1957 he is 41 - and the man was an accountant

Christina
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesOrme View Post
    Did he die in Derbyshire in 1982? The death registration for Stanley Arthur ORME Dec qtr 1982 Derby Vol. 6 p. 0847 gives his date of birth as 19 June 1914.
    Think this is a reply to Sue.
    I think that death registration might be the Arthur S Orme, birth registered September quarter 1914, Derby registration district; mother's maiden name Lemon.
    Stanley A Orme married Marjorie A Ridgard December quarter 1933.
    Daughter Sylvia A Orme birth registered September quarter 1936, plus another one born a year earlier. All in Derby registration district.
    All matches with 1939 Register, apart from Marjorie being missing.

Pam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast