Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Starting to feel at home

Default Alterations on birth certificate

I have seen a post mentioning changes to a BMD certificate asking what the annotations next to it indicate but I cannot locate it.

I have the birth certificate for Caroline Quinney (1862 Jun WARWICK UNION 06D 498)
    Her name was entered as Catherine and then scored through and her correct name entered. There is the number 10 written against the deleted name.

What does the number 10 indicate? Is it a reference to the reason for the change?

It was interesting to note that the forename has been corrected but the MMN is incorrectly spelled as Rathbone instead of Rathband.

A fountain of knowledge

I think the number refers to the number of corrections in the register, I.e. this was the tenth correction. The number would be repeated in the margin, an explanation may be added, with the registrars initials.

I have a birth certificate with '17' added above a crossed out 'Male' replaced with 'Boy'; just visible at the extreme left of the copy of the entry is '17', under which is 'correction' and under that the registrar's initials 'J.G.' (John Grimes)

I also have a marriage certificate where the bride's father's name has been corrected and '13' added, in the margin is 'Thirteen' with the vicar's initials underneath.

Starting to feel at home

It is called a "numbered correction" and indicates an error made, and corrected, whilst the register entry was being filled out rather than a change made later. There won't be an explanation or reason stated, as it should be obvious by the crossing out, as yours is.

They are numbered on the entry and signed/initialled in the margin, and then added to a sequential list at the front of the register, so that a late correction can't be sneaked in later.

Once the entry has been signed by the informant & registrar no other numbered corrections can be made, and a more formal process is followed if any changes are needed.

A fountain of knowledge

Thank you Antony for the complete explanation of procedure followed. I thought there had to be a list somewhere but didn't know for sure.