Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default (Not the) 1901 census

Talk of the release of 1901 census in another thread reminded of the shambles that it was, and how our lives were brightened by this.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20060720...uk/census.html

Take your time reading the names and occupations of the inhabitants of Great Cockup. There are some little gems.

For those overseas FMs who are perhaps not familiar with UK village names we have some weird and wonderful ones. Pratt's Bottom, Ugley, Great Snoring, Piddlehinton, Weedon, and Crackpot are but six. Search engines will find loads more. Hence the village name in the 1901 census, which accurately described the publishing of the census. System got overloaded on day one, limped along for a few days (did it last as long as a month?) before breaking completely and staying off-line for literally months.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, Pam. I don't mean to hijack the thread but for some reason it reminded me of this page from the 1881 census

RG11/20 f 126 p 48

Especially recommended for those people who have an almost religious view of census accuracy

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Can't recall seeing that one before, Peter. at the occupations of the two Robert Goodmans. To say nothing of their ages and that of the elder Robert's wife!

I thought it might be the page with the merchant seamen/sailors - not sure if there's still a link to it in the archives as I think the general chatter forum only goes back to 2013.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”